Gibson Brands Forums

SD "Slash" p'ups vs. burstbuckers

KVL

Well, I'll try to tell you what they sound like to me but probably someone else will tell you something completely different.

Anyway, I have the SD Alnico 2 Pro on an Epi LP Goltop and Burstbuckers 2 (neck) and 3 (bridge) on my Epi LP 1959 Standard.

The SDs sound bluesy, with a warm neck pickup, particularly clean.

The bridge is not very hot.

With my amp and on the dirty channel, I actually turn the gain quite low and you get nice blues tones as well as nice classic rock tones.

And, dare I say it, some kind of Slash tone as well.

Well, it gets you close anyway.

The Burstbuckers are different.

I feel that the BB3 is hotter than the SDs and handles distortionn better.

Well, it sounds more articulate and better defined to my ear.

As for the BB2 is also nice and warm, perhaps the range of sound slightly more balanced than the SD.

I think that when using the volume knob a lot, like I do, it ranges from very nice cleans to jazzy cleans to light blues and then they can handle a bit more distortion.

I guess that it'll depend on what you prefer.

I like hotter pickups than these like the 490T and 498R or the SDs Custom 5 for example.

Of course, I also like the EMG 85/81 combo [smile]

Hope it helps but I would really suggest trying these pickups for yourself so that you can hear yourself play them.

You can then decide a little better what suits you and your own sound better.

I would really suggest trying these pickups for yourself so that you can hear yourself play them.

You can then decide a little better what suits you and your own sound better.

Thanks, Xaj. I realize personal comparison is best, however, to find a place that happens to have a slash model and another guitar with bb's for a side-by-side comparison through the same amp, room acoustics, etc., isnt easy. LOL!

[biggrin]

You do have a point.

Well, for your reference there's this chart that shows (more or less and not totally accurate, I think) the relative pickup output for Gibson pickups.

I hope that it helps a little.

shal1234-albums-my-stuff-picture451-pickup-guide-chart.jpg

Archived