Gibson Brands Forums

Epiphone prophecy with 490r/498t

fatboy200072

I want to change the pick ups in the ex to the gibson 490R/498T Like they put in the gx. I can find the pick ups but not the info of what pots or how to wire to get it set up as active and with the coil tap. would like to go all gibson or other quility parts and stay awy form the cheap crap. Thanks

I want to change the pick ups in the ex to the gibson 490R/498T Like they put in the gx. I can find the pick ups but not the info of what pots or how to wire to get it set up as active and with the coil tap. would like to go all gibson or other quility parts and stay awy form the cheap crap. Thanks

I am not an expert, but I think that the 490R/498T can only be set up as passive pickups. You will have the ability to wire as coil-tap, since they have 4 conductor leads, just get good 500K push/pull pots and .022uf Caps (I use orange drops). Switchcraft switch and jack and you're all set. You might want to look at the wiring diagrams on the Seymour Duncan site. They have diagrams for just about any configuration you can think of.

Best of luck with the mods. I'm sure some others here with more expertise will chime in. By they way I think the blue EX looks amazing. Which color EX do you have?

Hmm the gx is active and they say it has 490r/498t. I went with the black after a long time of thinking about it. The blue is realy cool and I all most bought it but I know my self and black is just my thing.

Well maybe there not on it. Just looked at alot of photos of the back of the gx and there is no batter door Like on my ex. Hmm well if you watch the video from epiphone you might see why I was so sure.

Yeah, I did a little more research. I'm 100% sure the GX models with the Gibson pickups are passive electronics. Only the EX model is active. The components I mentioned earlier would work fine with the Gibson pickups. Here's a link to a diagram that would work for coil splitting.

http://www.seymourduncan.com/support/wiring-diagrams/schematics.php?schematic=2h_2v_2t_3w_2pp

Archived