Gibson Brands Forums

Epiphone Sheraton II truss rod question

roshambo

I recently bought a second handed epiphone sheraton. Now the bridge was set a bit high, causing the action on the higher frets to be way too high. After lowering the bridge, the action on the high frets was good, but then there was a lot of rattling on the low frets. The neck is a little back-bowed, so loosening the truss rod seemed like the right thing to do. After completely loosening the truss rod and rewinding the strings, the neck is still a little bit back-bowed. Well now the truss rod does looks a bit strange compared to those on the other guitars that I own. It looks like it goes in too deep inside the neck somehow (I attached a picture of it). I've never seen a sheraton trussrod before, so can't compare. What are your comments? Thanks :)

dsc0253br.jpg

Many were built that way, and it's not a factor.

Tune to pitch and let the neck settle in overnight.

Then start adjusting as necessary in small increments.

I agree, sometimes you just have to let the strings do the work if the neck is a little back bowed.

to OP...did you completely loosen the nut?

I agree, sometimes you just have to let the strings do the work if the neck is a little back bowed.

to OP...did you completely loosen the nut?

By nut, do you mean the screwable part of the truss rod? Well it's still on there, as in doesn't fall off when you put the guitar upside-down, but I think it's pretty much as loose as it can. The nut as in 'the white bone part', the former owner had it changed into a non-plastic one he said. And it isn't glued in, so it came loose, but I don't think that really is an issue. Or am I wrong?

Thanks everyone

The nut as in 'the white bone part', the former owner had it changed into a non-plastic one he said. And it isn't glued in, so it came loose, but I don't think that really is an issue. Or am I wrong?

No, the nut being loose is not structurally problematic, but it's best to have it lightly glued in place.

Archived