Gibson Brands Forums

Got a 1965 Melody Maker

truetone6

I got this guitar at a local store yesterday. Except for a few nicks it is in excellent condition.What is this this color called? "Fire Engine Red"? Anyone know what hard case would fit this? It doesn't fit in a Les Paul case,the horns are too wide.

DSCF4746.jpg

DSCF4756.jpg

DSCF4752.jpg

DSCF4761.jpg

DSCF4750.jpg

DSCF4758.jpg

Wow, that's a really fine condition transition period Melody Maker. I believe they all changed to the SG shape in '66, and I've only ever seen the original Melody Maker body in Sunburst and Cherry...but Fire Engine Red was used around that time period...

As far as cases go, my '64 Melody Maker (with the wide horns just like yours) fits in an LP case just fine. Yes it pushes slightly on the sides, but it won't damage the guitar or the case. I stuff some old t-shirts in behind it to compensate for the shallow body of the guitar.

Love the '59-'65 Melody Makers. Some of the most underrated vintage Gibsons.

Here's mine, pre-mod and post-mod

jG4Ev.jpg

MUOXl.jpg

-Ryan

Awesome guitars, always was a fan of the red SG melody makers though. By the way, what did you replace the bridge with?

If you're referring to mine, it's a TonePros AVT-II. The original wraparound is intonated for a wound G, which just doesn't work for any style where you need to Bend the G string. I also put newer tuners on (the old ones were just cheap) and I also put the P90 in the bridge position (with a new pickguard; no body routing required either)

-Ryan

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Archived