Gibson Brands Forums

Epi Tommy Thayer spaceman LP

buliwyf

I just got an American Musical supply catalog in the mail and the Epi Tommy Thayer spaceman LP is on the cover,first time I've seen or heard of one.I checked out a spaceman axe video on the catalog online page and I really dig the looks and the sound of it.It even has some some decent pickups with the Gibson 498t humbuckers and with the spaceman silver hard case and the strap.Seems $699.00 isnt a bad price but in another catalog a Gibby LP worn cherry studio was $529.00 minus another $75.00 if you used the coupon also in the catalog. Anybody see or try one out the Epi Spaceman yet again seems like a nice Epiphone Signature to own and are they going to make a Gibson version.As for Epi's I usually just dig the bigger hollow/semi hollow bodies archtops,especially a Sheraton I owned about 10 years ago,what a great Jazz/Blues tone that axe had.Any thoughts on Tommy Thayre's spaceman Epi axe.

http://www.americanmusical.com/Item--i-EPI-ENTTS-LIST

• 1 month later...

I got this guitar on one of the first shipments out of American Music Supply 2 Saturday's ago.

It looks, sounds and plays great. It was supposed to be a limited edition of 1000 like the Ace Frehley Budokan was last year.

I also bought that one twice and got #26 of 1000 and an unnumbered one autographed by Ace.

This one came and I expected roughly the same number (26) or even lower since it didn't seem like as big as a draw as Ace's guitar and I can't find where the guitar is numbered at all.

The serial number is in its regular place on the back of the head. Ace's was numbered on the signed certificate of authenticity. Tommy's was not numbered at all.

Did Epiphone forget to number them?

Last year the Ace Budokan was shown as coming with an eagle sticker that Ace had stuck on the back of his guitar in 1977.

The #26 of 1000 didn't have the sticker. The autographed one from Ace had a sticker that looked like a 5 year old colored it in preschool and brought it home to hang on the refridgerator door.

It really just looked like they got one sticker and ran off copies of it on a really bad color copier.

It doesn't seem like Epiphone is worried much about quality control from the looks of things on buying these 2 guitars from them.

Don't get me started on epi quality control. it's gone down hill big time since

they moved to China. you can tell by all the complaints that are starting to appear

on all the different models. it actaully pisses me off,

I too spent close to a 1000.00

on a ace budokan and there lots of problems, do you have these problems. string buzz,

pickup ring in middle higher that bridge ring , on web all pickup rings low and flat,

nut to high, tuners slack, small indent in finish, what the f@$ck is that.

anyway I would'nt even look at the Thayer just on principle alone, how can they release

that just after ace's guitar it has no meaning at all he doesn't deserve a sig guitar he's riding

on the heels of someone eleses creation, there trying to make it something special with

silver metalic and call it spaceman give me me a break.

they may get away with it for a few years

but then it catches up my major music stores are even steering me away from epi, to many complaints and

rising prices, they said your better of buying an entry gibson for around same price.

Fenders on the right track putting out good quality at resonable prices... from mexico take

note epi...I supported epi for many years but not anymore of my hard earned money for poor quality sorry.....

I know this my sound harsh but read the threads and complaints. then go over some of the other guitar

sites all they talk about is how happy they are and having fun.

with all that said i am going to keep my ace budokan my last epi...

thanks

bongo

I would'nt even look at the Thayer just on principle alone, how can they release

that just after ace's guitar it has no meaning at all he doesn't deserve a sig guitar he's riding

on the heels of someone eleses creation, there trying to make it something special with

silver metalic and call it spaceman give me me a break.

I agree. Now on one hand, as much as I dislike that Paul & Gene have other guys as Ace & Peter, I also realize that Tommy Thayer and Eric singer would be morons to NOT take the gig and paycheck. As good of players as they are, I have all due respect. I just wish they got new costumes like Eric Carr and Vinnie Vincent did.

I agree. Now on one hand, as much as I dislike that Paul & Gene have other guys as Ace & Peter, I also realize that Tommy Thayer and Eric singer would be morons to NOT take the gig and paycheck. As good of players as they are, I have all due respect. I just wish they got new costumes like Eric Carr and Vinnie Vincent did.

Oh I agree but Thayer should be a little more humble and not so cocky rock starish

Ya I know he's just a puppet for gene it's all about the money. Not integrity .

Cheers

Bongo

Archived