Gibson Brands Forums

Best Quality Tuners for an ES-330 VOS to Replace Klusons

rduval

[begin Angry Rant]

I just bought a cherry '59 ES-330 VOS and it came with Kluson Tone Pro tuners. I have to say, I've seen better quality on a $150 Fender Esquire package at Wall Mart. One tuner is stripped completely and most of them have unbelievable backlash and/or barely want to move when you're backtuning when tuning up. They are seriously junk. Maybe it's just a bad batch of gears, maybe this, maybe that. Bottom line is for a Custom Shop guitar this should never have left the factory floor with these tuners on. (And bright white buttons on an "aged" guitar with aged binding and hardware? Really Gibson??? Come on...)

[Rant Over]

Anyway, I LOVE the guitar (plays like butter and sounds amazing) and I'd like to put on some period correct tuners that fit the same screw holes (hopefully, if such a beast exists) but I want top quality.

Any suggestions?

I would keep it original...replace the bad Klusons with new Klusons. First try lubing them with Tri-flow silicon spray (available at most bicycle shops). It did wonders for my pedal steel's tuners. If it doesn't help your bad tuners there are many other uses for it. JMHO. DO NOT USE WD-40 on your guitar.

Strange, I haven't had any problems with the tuners on my 330 VOS - just got lucky I suppose.

As for replacements, try Stewart-McDonald. They carry a line of aged tuners that are of high quality.

Don't know if they stock a set made to fit the 330 - you'll have to check that out.

Bought a set for my '22 Gibson mandolin, and the aging process creates a very good match.

Strange, I haven't had any problems with the tuners on my 330 VOS - just got lucky I suppose.

As for replacements, try Stewart-McDonald. They carry a line of aged tuners that are of high quality.

Don't know if they stock a set made to fit the 330 - you'll have to check that out.

Bought a set for my '22 Gibson mandolin, and the aging process creates a very good match.

I guess I was just unlucky. Probably made in Indonesia by starving orphans these days to save money.

What did you use for aging the tuners? Oh, and BTW, did you age the white bean buttons as well (looks stupid bright white on an aged guitar IMHO)

What did you use for aging the tuners? Oh, and BTW, did you age the white bean buttons as well

I didn't do any aging to the tuners myself. The tuners I'm talking about are called "Golden Age Restoration" tuners, sold by Stewart-McDonald. If you go to their website, there's an open back set of individual tuners (rather than three on a plate) that MIGHT work.

I didn't do any aging to the tuners myself. The tuners I'm talking about are called "Golden Age Restoration" tuners, sold by Stewart-McDonald. If you go to their website, there's an open back set of individual tuners (rather than three on a plate) that MIGHT work.

Yeah, I think they might work. The dimensions look the same but they are VERY aged. Thanks for the tip.

Archived