Gibson Brands Forums

Early 1980's Ephiphone

cmanoli98

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

That sold unit from Seattle is a dead ringer for the OP's model.

So it's worth $1,200, a far sight better than the Blue Book's valuation.

Agreed

@Brian

I don't want to hijack this thread, but I bought the Walter Carter Epiphone book. In the index I see that he's included the Bonamassa Les Paul from 2010 but completly omitted the Wilshire re-issue from 2009 and the slightly later model with trem. I really do think that you and RTH should reconsider that book idea.

Agreed

@Brian

I don't want to hijack this thread, but I bought the Walter Carter Epiphone book. In the index I see that he's included the Bonamassa Les Paul from 2010 but completly omitted the Wilshire re-issue from 2009 and the slightly later model with trem. I really do think that you and RTH should reconsider that book idea.

Yes, and he barely mentions the Elitist series which are some of the finest guitars Epiphone has made in the modern era.

I'm game but it's really up to Rob, he's done a lot of the heavy lifting already.

Carter's book states the post-Elitist Valensi Rivieras were made in China.

They actually were made by Unsung in Korea.

It also lists the Elitist Valensi as still in production.

It only lasted through 2006.

I'm sure there's a lot of stuff like this,

but I appreciate his effort.

No worries, good luck with the sale, and remember that figure is retail, a dealer is going to want to pay about 50% of that.

Whenever I sell a guitar I always try to remember that it's only worth what someone is willing to pay at some fixed point in time.

Keeps my pricing realistic and helps make the sale go quickly and smoothly.

Cheers, Brian

• 1 month later...

Don't know if it sheds any light on this topic but I just picked up today what appears to be a 1983 Japan Epiphone Sheraton, pics attached. This also has the '79' hand written in the bridge pickup cavity.

My first inclination was also that it could be a 79 body until I read the thread. Some good info on here. Picked this one up for a mere £279.00. In a well known 'cash buying selling' store in the UK. In wonderful condition after a polish. Always fancied a Sheraton. Not sure they were aware of its pedigree. [smile]

post-54347-034243300 1363133003_thumb.jpg

post-54347-068998300 1363132654_thumb.jpg

post-54347-002629300 1363132611_thumb.jpg

post-54347-025873800 1363132566_thumb.jpg

Seriously good score there Deep blues, congrats!

Looks like that pawn shop didn't do their homework.

msp_flapper.gif

Thanks Brianh, they certainly didn't, kind of evens the score up, those places give you the lowest price they can when you sell, and usually make too big a mark up. So its a good feeling knowing you've taken something back. Gave a new set of strings today and a setup and it sings.

... kind of evens the score up, those places give you the lowest price they can when you sell, and usually make too big a mark up. So its a good feeling knowing you've taken something back.

=D> =D> =D> =D> =D> =D>

Nice one DB68...

& this whole thread is a really great read [thumbup]

The problem with these threads is that some people read them and decide their guitar is a down payment on a beach house. Here's an example:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/390439384762?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649

That Riviera is worth $1,200 to the right right buyer on a sunny day, and they're never going to get $2k for it, but they will probably bid on it themselves, and then there'll be a "completed" listing on eBay that will be used to value that model for years. This is how instruments get overvalued. I think that if it weren't for guys like us, these guitars should sell for about $600 -$800 when you look at what else is available new in this category and how flooded the market is. Some people would say even less and they might be right, the Norlin years were not Gibson's shining hour...

The problem with these threads is that some people read them and decide their guitar is a down payment on a beach house. Here's an example:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/390439384762?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649

That Riviera is worth $1,200 to the right right buyer on a sunny day, and they're never going to get $2k for it, but they will probably bid on it themselves, and then there'll be a "completed" listing on eBay that will be used to value that model for years. This is how instruments get overvalued. I think that if it weren't for guys like us, these guitars should sell for about $600 -$800 when you look at what else is available new in this category and how flooded the market is. Some people would say even less and they might be right, the Norlin years were not Gibson's shining hour...

Have to agree with you Brianh, don't agree with the self bidding to up the pricing, and as much as 'I' know I got a bargain, I also know that its a comfortable profit, not a crazy one, were I to move it on. But that's not why I bought it. It will be played like all my others, as it should be :)

Have to agree with you Brianh, don't agree with the self bidding to up the pricing, and as much as 'I' know I got a bargain, I also know that its a comfortable profit, not a crazy one, were I to move it on. But that's not why I bought it. It will be played like all my others, as it should be :)

That's the spirit.

All my guitars get played and treated equally as well whether they came dearly or were rescued from the curb.

That's pretty much true of all guitars. Just because two bits of wood were shaped and screwed together in 1959, does that make a Fender Strat worth £30,000.00? It will to someone but not to me it doesn't. Ever see those ads that say 'Gibson/Fender/Gretsch <model> near mint condition'? I always think, why's that then? Nobody ever like it enough to play?

If I'm looking for something specific and I find it, I'll pay a little over the odds to have it. Because that's what it's worth to me and that's what matters. If I were to sell my Riviera (not going to happen) I'd be looking IRO £600.00 to £700.00 because that's the going price at the moment. The reason I'm not going to (try to) sell it is because I have yet to find something I like more that I could buy for £600.00 to £700.00.

• 2 months later...

I'm a newbie to this board. Here is my 81 Emperor T H. This was my dad's guitar for a LONG time. He handed this down to me when he passed about 7 years ago. He acquired it from the wife of an acquaintance who passed away in Modesto, CA (my hometown) in the late 80's I believe. The widow told my dad her husband acquired it from either Roy Lanham himself or Roy's widow. That's the story anyway :)I'm going to be taking mine to a local shop to see if I can work out a trade for a new Les Paul or American Strat since I don't play this guitar. I keep it safe and un-played but she plays like butter and sounds AMAZING.She is setup very nicely and with 10-46's. Such a nice guitar/

Anyway here are some pictures of mine:

IMG_3448_zpsf2b4ca70.jpg

IMG_3445_zps795f0da7.jpg

IMG_3443_zpse28bd28c.jpg

IMG_3439_zpsbbef665a.jpg

IMG_3436_zpsd3667cee.jpg

IMG_3433_zps1b248aef.jpg

IMG_3499_zps724eff9c.jpg

Mate, you should try and sell that privately. Emperors are rare enough, but the thinline models are even rarer. If I lived in America, I'd be trying to cram $1500.00 in your hand and falling on your neck weeping to get my mitts on that. And I'd be surprised if that was the best offer you got.

I agree - your typical music store is not going to understand the provenance of this guitar and will offer you $300.

Sell it privately via eBay or here, or better yet, keep it and buy yourself an LP with other funds.

Your dad would be glad you did.

Thanks for the very wise advice to both of you :)

I will see about posting it then. I may try local Craigslist here in Reno too just in case that works out. It would be simple too.

My dad would be just as happy if I passed this one on to someone who would be as happy to own as he and I did/am. This one probably has one hour of playing time since he died. Sitting in my closet with a often refreshed Dampit in the case.

I come from a long lineage of guitar players and we have had our share of fine guitars and amps and they have all been cared for and used with joy.

My mom even said go for it if I can get something new that I will play more and enjoy for many more years to come. I'm 57 years old and won't make a brash decision. For my style of playing though, a nice Les Paul or American Fender will be played a lot appreciated just as much as this fine guitar . . .

You guys rock . . .

Archived