Gibson Brands Forums

SG Junior or SG Special Worn

glennc

The short answer is that the Special is the better buy.

The long answer is that it might depend on what kind of tone you are looking for as well. The special might be more versatile in terms of variety of tones. The Jr will be brighter and will probably never sound as heavy as the Special or your LP. If possible you should try to ply both side by side and see which one really grabs you.

Also, for me, I prefer the high gloss finishes and would get one with two pickups instead of one. That leaves both of these guitars out. I would consider the SG Standard P90 for that reason but that's just personal preference.

The short answer is that the Special is the better buy.

The long answer is that it might depend on what kind of tone you are looking for as well. The special might be more versatile in terms of variety of tones. The Jr will be brighter and will probably never sound as heavy as the Special or your LP. If possible you should try to ply both side by side and see which one really grabs you.

Also, for me, I prefer the high gloss finishes and would get one with two pickups instead of one. That leaves both of these guitars out. I would consider the SG Standard P90 for that reason but that's just personal preference.

Thanks cjsinla for the opinion. I agree and if I had the funds the gloss P-90 or a 2012 Standard SG would be what I really want. I decided to go real inexpensive for now (Epiphone SG Vintage Worn) and try to save up for a Gibson. Fingers crossed. Take care.

Glenn

Archived