Gibson Brands Forums

Early 80's pickups

cjsinla

I have a pair of Gibson pickups that I bought new at GC in the early eighties. They have the patent number stamped on the bottom and the have a "Pat. Appl. For" foil sticker on the bottom s well. The script on the sticker is the same as the stickers that Gibson put on the pickup rings of some of the Shaw equipped guitars in that same time period. The magnets have a rough surface on the end and they use white plastic spacers. They look like pics of some Shaws I've seen but they don't have the ink stamp on the bottom. I believe they came in a blue box. But I did see a pic of Shaws with packaging that said "Handmade" I think and the box was not blue. The resistance is around 7.0k. Does anyone know for sure what these pickups are?

8431152805_a7604a5a97.jpg

8432205902_be5a5e8928.jpg

Found the box...

8543118560_a663debdba.jpg

The PAF sticker is not "Gibson" style....AND at some point many years ago Seymour Duncan "trademarked" the zebra bobbin configuration (right out from under Gibson's nose). If my memory serves me correctly, Duncan was also the first one to offer pickups marketed as "PAF".

I would suspect your pickups to be Duncans.

The PAF sticker is not "Gibson" style....AND at some point many years ago Seymour Duncan "trademarked" the zebra bobbin configuration (right out from under Gibson's nose). If my memory serves me correctly, Duncan was also the first one to offer pickups marketed as "PAF".

I would suspect your pickups to be Duncans.

where did you get that from? [confused]

Seymour Duncan hold no such trademark.

Dimarzio, on the other hand, owns both the PAF name as well as the doublecream pickups.

the sticker on the back of the pick up is exactly like the sticker that Gibson was putting on guitars in that same era. If you look up Shaw pick ups, you will see that the sticker on the pick up ring is exactly like the sticker on the back of this particular pick up that I posted a picture of.

• 1 month later...

Archived