Gibson Brands Forums

Expert Opinion LP Jr Special II with Mean 90s

glennc

Hello,

Having returned an Epi LP Jr. Special I P-90 because I was unhappy with the quality and the cost to setup correctly. I really liked the sound of the guitar and the TV Yellow. I am requesting opinions on fixing one of them up or getting an Epi Les Paul Jr. Special II with the bridge and tailpiece and eventually putting GFS Mean Pickups in it. On the Special I the intonated stopbar would not hold the strings equally spaced and it would not stay in tune.

Would the Special II stand up better and then would the GFS Mean pickups give a really good P-90 sound?

Thanks for any information on this idea!

Glenn

I can't speak specifically to the pros/cons of the Special II, but I can attest that the Mean 90s are very nice pickups, and give a faithful P90 tone. I like mine, and have seen almost universal praise on many forums. Great price, too.

Hello Joe,

Thanks for the good word on the pickups. That is a major concern..... the sound! Appreciate the info!

Glenn

All my Epi's have set necks, so I'm not sure about the Specials. Mean 90's have gotten a lot of positive reviews on the Duncan site. They're good quality P-90's and an excellent choice for your project. Give you that original LP Special sound.

Howdy Bluemans335,

Thank you for the plus on the pickups. The Special II with the bridge and stopbar would solve the moving strings on the intonated stopbar of the Special I, but not the sound. Feel the need for the P-90s.

Glenn

The Special II with the bridge and stopbar would solve the moving strings on the intonated stopbar of the Special I, but not the sound. Feel the need for the P-90s.

Glenn

When you think about what was done around 1970 with P-90's: Leslie West, Pete Townsend (Live at Leeds), Carlos Santana, & Tony Iommi...wow! What great tones.

Archived