Gibson Brands Forums

Adjusting the nut on LP

Oldhippie

Yesterday I checked all my guitars and cleaned them.

With my LP I had some buzzing going on. I set the action too deep. So I put a small paper 0,5 mm underneath and srewed the bridge a little bit higher.

But now the action is too high. Before I remove the nut again, I wanted to know............

What material do you take, if the nut is to low ???

Shimming:

I've used construction paper.

If I remember, it took a piece or two. I've since gotten much better at making nuts.

Filling:

You can make a mix of superglue and baking soda, raise the individual slots and re-file.

Use a tooth pick and only raise as needed. Just don't glue the tooth pick to the nut.

You can then adjust with torch tip cleaners if you don't have the proper files.

(available from any welding supply for under $5.00.

Torch-tip-cleaner.jpg

Finally:

Replace the nut.

Determining nut slot heights:

http://www.mylespaul.com/forums/4615540-post22.html

Probably more info than you need but, you would be surprised how often the question comes up.

Willy

Thanks Willy...I did use paper on another guitar and it worked well.

I also have the tools you showed (but in metric).

I just expected somebody would say "Never take paper", because of sustain or whatever........

I´m not a friend of glue and so I do it without. The nut also gets a little hold from the trusrodcover.

Thanks

I just expected somebody would say "Never take paper", because of sustain or whatever.......

Someone probably will and I wouldn't argue with them.

I didn't notice any difference in sound the one time I did it. (but then, I'm just a deaf old fart, anymore) LOL

After that, I'm happy to say I've never over notched a nut.

If I did I would just make a new one.

Best of luck,

Willy

Cutting nut slots well is actually quite a skilled job. However, you can buy pre-slotted nuts where all the hard work has already been done. I bought one of these pre-slotted bone nuts for my dot recently and it was a perfect fit. They're cheap but quite well cut as you can see in this photo - notice how the wound strings aren't buried deep in their slots.

I can't say for sure if the string spacing will be exactly the same on the LP but, if you're interested, use the Stewmac sizing guide to check your string spacing and let me know what you get.

My old nut came off very easily. I laid a block of wood flat on the fretboard, tapped gently with a a hammer, and it popped right off. You might have some spots of hardened glue left behind so file these down smooth. You need a nice flat surface for the new nut.

The next step involves some measurements of string clearance. First check your neck relief and action are reasonably close to their optimum settings or the measurements won't be accurate.

Fret the low E at the first fret and use a feeler guage to measure the height under the string at the second fret. Repeat for the high E. This, or maybe just a tiny bit more, is the string clearance you're aiming for at the first fret with the new nut*.

Now put the new nut in place and tighten up the strings (you don't need to glue it yet). Measure the string clearance at the first fret for each E string. Subtract the amounts you measured for 2nd fret clearance and that's what you need to take off the bottom of the new nut. Mark the side of the nut with a felt tip pen and use the feeler guage to measure accurately.

360 grit sandpaper is probably about right. Hold the side of the nut against a wooden block while you're sanding. This maintains a nice 90 degree angle between the bottom of the nut and the sides. A mis-shapen nut with an angled bottom will lean forwards or backwards and that could affect intonation. Take your time and keep a nice, even pressure.

When you're done, try it out for size and measure string clearance to check it's OK. A couple of spots of wood glue are all you need to glue it permanently in position.

It's a really easy job to do. Just take your time and remember that you're trying to make a very precise shape with a perfectly flat bottom and right-angled sides.

* Got some good tips in this thread :)

Archived