Gibson Brands Forums

Another try with LP Special I with P-90s

glennc

Hello,

Once more into the fray.. Noted in previous threads I purchased a TV Yellow Worn Epi LP Jr. Special I with P-90s and an intonated stopbar tailpiece. Problems with strings not staying evenly spaced on the stopbar, not staying in tune and the cost to get right seemed excessive and I returned it for an SG Vintage G-400. Well that guitar was one that slipped passed QC and was returned. Having played it, I found that I did enjoy the LP Jr. Special better. So I am getting another. The dealer told me they could check the guitar for the specific issues prior to shipping, which is really great. I contacted Gibson Tech Support to find out if the issue with the strings not staying evenly and correctly spaced is a design issue, I mean they have used the configuration on many guitars, or if it was an individual problem. I was advised that the strings should stay properly spaced and that my initial guitar most likely could be covered under warranty to correct it. If it works, this would allow me to get a good nut and setup done and as I was guite happy with the sound and feel, I should be good to go, fingers crossed. As I cannot afford the Gibson LP Jr. Special with the P-90s even in the worn finish!!! Thanks for all the help and answers on the various threads I've posted in regards to this quandary of such epic personal proportions {:-))!

Glenn

Glenn, the issue with the strings not staying evenly spaced on a wraparound bridge is somewhat of an issue only when the guitar is new and the strings havent made the proper divets on the raised saddle pieces yet. After you play the guitar for a while, the strings should start to create notches in the saddles and hold them in the proper spots. Of course, you might have to be a little conscious of how hard you strum or pluck the strings for awhile, but that should only be very temporary.

I had an issue with a SG Junior where the guy that installed the strings didnt propery space them at the factory. Being that this guitar was a floor model, it got quite a bit of playtime in the store and the strings had started to divet the saddles in the wrong places. This was also the only TV Yellow Junior available, so I bought it anyway and temporarily replaced the bridge with a spare that I had at home. I eventually put a Schaller 456 intonatable fine-tune bridge on it. A very nice and heavy bridge, but unfortunately costs just as much as the entire guitar. [bored]

Glenn, the issue with the strings not staying evenly spaced on a wraparound bridge is somewhat of an issue only when the guitar is new and the strings havent made the proper divets on the raised saddle pieces yet. After you play the guitar for a while, the strings should start to create notches in the saddles and hold them in the proper spots. Of course, you might have to be a little conscious of how hard you strum or pluck the strings for awhile, but that should only be very temporary.

I had an issue with a SG Junior where the guy that installed the strings didnt propery space them at the factory. Being that this guitar was a floor model, it got quite a bit of playtime in the store and the strings had started to divet the saddles in the wrong places. This was also the only TV Yellow Junior available, so I bought it anyway and temporarily replaced the bridge with a spare that I had at home. I eventually put a Schaller 456 intonatable fine-tune bridge on it. A very nice and heavy bridge, but unfortunately costs just as much as the entire guitar. [bored]

Howdy RTH,

It is good to hear some of the process from experience. I wish to keep the stopbar as is (I think at this time). The notch that will eventually form, what, I am concerned, will keep it from notching in the wrong place. In terms of time, what are we talking about, reference divets?? I had it for maybe a week and it didn't work by then. The low E kept sliding toward the lower bout. The G and B were constantly moving. A tech at GC said he could cut slots at the correct dimensions for $30. I have considered the Epi LP Jr. Special II with the bridge and stopbar and putting GFS Mean P-90 replacements, but they don't have TV yellow.

Thanks for the information. Really like the light basswood body and the epi P-90's sounded pretty darn good.

Glenn

The consensus on the tuning problem was the nut.

To make sure the strings are in the right place, just be sure that they go straight upward out of the holes and over the saddles. If they are on any bit of an angle coming out of the holes, they will be spaced improperly.

As for the time it takes for the strings to make the divets, I guess that depends on how much you play the guitar. The vibrations from the strings will carve out the divets, but they will never be as deep as an adjustable saddle. I dont really have a time frame for this, unfortunately. But you can easily speed up the process yourself by lightly filing the bridge with a set of small round and triangular files. There should already be the beginning of these divets on the saddles just from the strings being on the guitar.

To make sure the strings are in the right place, just be sure that they go straight upward out of the holes and over the saddles. If they are on any bit of an angle coming out of the holes, they will be spaced improperly.

As for the time it takes for the strings to make the divets, I guess that depends on how much you play the guitar. The vibrations from the strings will carve out the divets, but they will never be as deep as an adjustable saddle. I dont really have a time frame for this, unfortunately. But you can easily speed up the process yourself by lightly filing the bridge with a set of small round and triangular files. There should already be the beginning of these divets on the saddles just from the strings being on the guitar.

Thanks RTH,

That is an idea, but I don't want to be personally responsible for messing it up!!! Appreciate your time!

Glenn

Archived