Gibson Brands Forums

Unusual to me Les Paul Junior with P90s

glennc

A Jr. Special, (or Jr, or Special) is a significant upgrade over the MM line. I would say it's definitely a good move.

I like the idea behind the MM line, but I wouldn't be too hard on them as far as "cosmetic" issues. They weren't meant to be anything more than a cheap guitar, and really the charm IS the cheapness. Especially the new ones.

Good move. You get what you pay for, but the Jr. Special really is a great value to say the least, and also really where the actual "Gibby-ness" starts for electrics. Note you also get the real-deal pups and such, hardware, etc.

Howdy stein,

Yes, I do hope so about the quality and upgrade. I am interested in what you mean about the real deal pups. Weren't they regular P90s in the MM? And thanks!

Glenn

Howdy stein,

Yes, I do hope so about the quality and upgrade. I am interested in what you mean about the real deal pups. Weren't they regular P90s in the MM? And thanks!

Glenn

Actually, I am not hip on what goes in the MM, as far as electronics. As far as I know, there is only one P-90 that Gibby makes, so it would make sense if it was a P-90 it came with.

What little I know about the MM, is a current line that is made with maple bodies, thinner, and really made on the cheap as far as design and appointments. I am just guessing this is what you were looking at or trying in the MM.

Ah, I looked it up. I'm much more hip now.

I think you will be much happier. The "p-90 mm" I saw was a grand retail, which put's it over 600 bones? WAY too much for a MM, I think. But, it did look like a better guitar than the regular MM series.

The "Jr. Special" I seen was, essentially, an all out Special. The only differences I see, is the baked maple fretboard, and the neck joint- the neck joint of an origonal Jr, or Special has that squared section (like on the P-90 MM you were looking at). But, other than that, the neck joint is pretty standard to regular models, and other than those two differences, looks to me to be a full-fledged Special.

Note also, it comes in Gloss for 100 bones more. Satin is only 100 bones more than the MM you were looking at.

Seriously, good move. For the same money, there is no reason to get a MM when you can get a Special.

Ah, I looked it up. I'm much more hip now.

I think you will be much happier. The "p-90 mm" I saw was a grand retail, which put's it over 600 bones? WAY too much for a MM, I think. But, it did look like a better guitar than the regular MM series.

The "Jr. Special" I seen was, essentially, an all out Special. The only differences I see, is the baked maple fretboard, and the neck joint- the neck joint of an origonal Jr, or Special has that squared section (like on the P-90 MM you were looking at). But, other than that, the neck joint is pretty standard to regular models, and other than those two differences, looks to me to be a full-fledged Special.

Note also, it comes in Gloss for 100 bones more. Satin is only 100 bones more than the MM you were looking at.

Seriously, good move. For the same money, there is no reason to get a MM when you can get a Special.

Thanks stein! I got the guitar for less than $400 on a deal. Actually the baked maple didn't seem that bad on the guitar. It was just a combination of quality and being broken. $100 is quite a bit more than I could wrangle and all the places I looked only had satins left. Again I do so hope for a quality LP Jr. Special!!!!

Glenn

Archived