Gibson Brands Forums

Unusual to me Les Paul Junior with P90s

glennc

Howdy,

I was wondering if anyone has any opinions or experience with what was described as a limited run of Gibson LP Juniors with p90's, reputedly new replacements for the melody maker. It has the thinner body, satin finish, no grain voids, unbound neck, full size headstock, single volume and tone and toggle all on the lower bout through the pickguard. The pickguard is one ply black and covers around both P90s (they appear to be attached to the guard). Nice TV yellow color and black also. The tuners are white oval style plastic on what looks like a regular kluson tuner body. Also, it uses a none intonated stopbar tailpiece. They are being clearanced around here for $429. IMO it appears as if the bodies were routed for humbuckers and the unusual to me, looking pickguard is designed to cover the routes and use the P90s. Anyone seen them yet?

Glenn

I'm pretty sure you're talking about this:

http://www2.gibson.com/Products/Electric-Guitars/Melody-Maker/Gibson-USA/Melody-Maker-Special.aspx

Which is not a Les Paul Junior, but a Melody Maker Special. It's a Melody Maker with P90's, that's it. The pickguard around the pickups is shaped like that because the original Melody Makers ('59-60's) had pickups with a wide baseplate in that shape. They kept the pickguard to make it look original. Humbuckers will not fit in these routs; they're routed for P90's.

-Ryan

I'm pretty sure you're talking about this:

http://www2.gibson.com/Products/Electric-Guitars/Melody-Maker/Gibson-USA/Melody-Maker-Special.aspx

Which is not a Les Paul Junior, but a Melody Maker Special. It's a Melody Maker with P90's, that's it. The pickguard around the pickups is shaped like that because the original Melody Makers ('59-60's) had pickups with a wide baseplate in that shape. They kept the pickguard to make it look original. Humbuckers will not fit in these routs; they're routed for P90's.

-Ryan

Hello Ryan,

Yes, exactly, these are the guitars. My mistake on the routings. Thanks for the find. Do you have any experience with one? They seemed solid and are real Gibsons.

Glenn

Hello Ryan,

Yes, exactly, these are the guitars. My mistake on the routings. Thanks for the find. Do you have any experience with one? They seemed solid and are real Gibsons.

Glenn

I've played almost every Melody Maker model Gibson has come out with since the 60's. You could say I'm a bit of a fanboy. Of the "modern" Melody Makers, these "Specials" are the first ones I've liked. P90's are my favorite pickups in the world (though it's a matter of personal preference), so much so that I stuck a P90 in the bridge position of my original 1964 Melody Maker. They're pretty light too; my main one is Just under 7lb's.

I've played the Special next to a Les Paul Special (the Les Paul Junior with 2 P90's) and honestly, the only difference I could tell was weight, and the LP Special has a touch more bass. But it's negligible. I find the upper fret access on the Singlecut Melody Makers is superior to a Junior or a regular Les Paul, because of the thinner body. You won't be disappointed. Great rock, country and blues guitar. Can do lots of other stuff fairly well too. I've done metal on it, with a noise gate.

Good luck, and post pics if you get one!

-Ryan

I've played almost every Melody Maker model Gibson has come out with since the 60's. You could say I'm a bit of a fanboy. Of the "modern" Melody Makers, these "Specials" are the first ones I've liked. P90's are my favorite pickups in the world (though it's a matter of personal preference), so much so that I stuck a P90 in the bridge position of my original 1964 Melody Maker. They're pretty light too; my main one is Just under 7lb's.

I've played the Special next to a Les Paul Special (the Les Paul Junior with 2 P90's) and honestly, the only difference I could tell was weight, and the LP Special has a touch more bass. But it's negligible. I find the upper fret access on the Singlecut Melody Makers is superior to a Junior or a regular Les Paul, because of the thinner body. You won't be disappointed. Great rock, country and blues guitar. Can do lots of other stuff fairly well too. I've done metal on it, with a noise gate.

Good luck, and post pics if you get one!

-Ryan

Thanks for your response Ryan. I am trying to decide if I want to pick one up. Money is always a problem. Any problems with the intonation or string movement with the plain stopbar tailpiece? I have been looking am in the process of trying a second unit of the Epi LP Jr. Special I with 2 P90s. Pretty good but it isn't a Gibson, but it is much cheaper. Thanks again I will now seriously consider that added expenditure.

Glenn

I have the old style stopbar bridge on my Jr. and like you I was concerned about intonation problems because I ordered the guitar new sight unseen . I was already looking at replacement bridges before the guitar came in and am glad that I didn't buy one because there was no need . The intonation was better than the SG and Les Paul were when I got them . (all 3 guitars were new with factory setups). You might not be able to get it as close to perfect as an ajustable bridge but as the saying goes , "Close Enough For Rock'N'Roll". I also think the smooth stopbar on an angle looks better then a stepped bridge parallel to the pickup, but that's just personal taste.

I have the old style stopbar bridge on my Jr. and like you I was concerned about intonation problems because I ordered the guitar new sight unseen . I was already looking at replacement bridges before the guitar came in and am glad that I didn't buy one because there was no need . The intonation was better than the SG and Les Paul were when I got them . (all 3 guitars were new with factory setups). You might not be able to get it as close to perfect as an ajustable bridge but as the saying goes , "Close Enough For Rock'N'Roll". I also think the smooth stopbar on an angle looks better then a stepped bridge parallel to the pickup, but that's just personal taste.

Hello codename,

Well that is good news. My initial concern was that the first Epi LP Jr Special I got had a intonated stopbar tailpiece. The string dimensions on the stopbar were well out of even, I had thought it a design problem. Gibson Tech Support advised me that it was probably a defect/quality issue that couldthave been repaired under warranty. Not wanting to spend what is a good amount of cash, I exchanged the guitar and am waiting for the replacement. I am now thinking about the Melody Maker Special. Thanks for that info!

Glenn

I concur with codename's assessment of the wraparound bridge on these guitars. The only reason I replaced the one on my '64 Melody Maker (with a TonePros Adjustable wraparound) was because the old 50's and 60's wraparounds are intonated for a Wound G-string, which was more common back then. The modern wraparound bridges are intonated for a plain G-string, which is more common nowadays. It's the simplest bridge design out there and it works. Feels great under your palm and restrings are a breeze.

I say go for it, the extra expense will be well worth it.

-Ryan

I concur with codename's assessment of the wraparound bridge on these guitars. The only reason I replaced the one on my '64 Melody Maker (with a TonePros Adjustable wraparound) was because the old 50's and 60's wraparounds are intonated for a Wound G-string, which was more common back then. The modern wraparound bridges are intonated for a plain G-string, which is more common nowadays. It's the simplest bridge design out there and it works. Feels great under your palm and restrings are a breeze.

I say go for it, the extra expense will be well worth it.

-Ryan

Howdy Ryan,

I didn't know that about the wound G string history, interesting. Good to get confirmation about stopbar and it's ability to produce quality sound. Now if I can save up or sell something, I'm good to go! Thanks again.

Glenn

Howdy Ryan,

I didn't know that about the wound G string history, interesting. Good to get confirmation about stopbar and it's ability to produce quality sound. Now if I can save up or sell something, I'm good to go! Thanks again.

Glenn

Well, the pull was too strong. Cancelled an Epiphone Les Paul Jr. Special I and put the money toward a red Gibson Melody Maker Special. Can't wait! Hope it is a good one and gets here soon!!!!! Did you have much trouble getting it setup to a proper actions, no buzzing, etc.??

Glenn

Well, the pull was too strong. Cancelled an Epiphone Les Paul Jr. Special I and put the money toward a red Gibson Melody Maker Special. Can't wait! Hope it is a good one and gets here soon!!!!! Did you have much trouble getting it setup to a proper actions, no buzzing, etc.??

Glenn

Any decent guitar tech should be able to set it up however you want. I've played ones set up with laser-low action with no buzzing whatsoever. Post pics when she comes in!

-Ryan

Any decent guitar tech should be able to set it up however you want. I've played ones set up with laser-low action with no buzzing whatsoever. Post pics when she comes in!

-Ryan

Sounds great Ryan, thanks. Did you have the nut changed? Also have you had yours apart? By this I mean with the pickguard off. I was considering adding concentric 500K/500K pots and adding a second volume and tone control, without drilling any new holes. Is there much room under the guard, if you have. Thanks for the information again!

Glenn

Sounds great Ryan, thanks. Did you have the nut changed? Also have you had yours apart? By this I mean with the pickguard off. I was considering adding concentric 500K/500K pots and adding a second volume and tone control, without drilling any new holes. Is there much room under the guard, if you have. Thanks for the information again!

Glenn

Glenn,

Nuts with Gibson are hit-and-miss. I've never had problems with the nuts on Melody Makers I've played. The regular Corian that Gibson uses is perfectly fine, though something like bone is preferable. Don't worry about it unless it gives you trouble (strings sticking in the nut and such).

One thing I would recommend..250k pots, rather than 500k. These are Single Coil pickups, and as such are brighter than Humbuckers. 500k pots would make them sound way too trebly and harsh. Also, are you planning to add the concentric pots to be used As the second volume and tone control? From what I've seen, there's only room in the rout for 2 pots, the jack and the switch. There isn't room for 4 knobs adjacent to eachother (the standard 2 volume 2 tone setup) without routing. The concentric pots should work though.

Let me know if you have any more questions.

-Ryan

Glenn,

Nuts with Gibson are hit-and-miss. I've never had problems with the nuts on Melody Makers I've played. The regular Corian that Gibson uses is perfectly fine, though something like bone is preferable. Don't worry about it unless it gives you trouble (strings sticking in the nut and such).

One thing I would recommend..250k pots, rather than 500k. These are Single Coil pickups, and as such are brighter than Humbuckers. 500k pots would make them sound way too trebly and harsh. Also, are you planning to add the concentric pots to be used As the second volume and tone control? From what I've seen, there's only room in the rout for 2 pots, the jack and the switch. There isn't room for 4 knobs adjacent to eachother (the standard 2 volume 2 tone setup) without routing. The concentric pots should work though.

-Ryan

Hello Ryan,

Thanks for the info on the pot sizes and the P90s. Hate to make them sound bad. With the concentric pots there are two knobs on each pot, an outer for one pot and a top for the other. You could put on concentric pot in the volume hole and control both pickup volumes and one in the tone control spot and do the same for the tone. I contacted the company and they told me that you need 15/16th of and inch clearance under the pickquard. Maybe not enough room.

I've gotten some negative feedback on the concentric pots, but the ones I've looked at are made by CTS around $10 each. But you also have to buy the knob set separately and that is around $15. Who know, just wondering. I had and sold a Gibson LP Jr. Gloss Walnut finish with p90's, kick myself is my thoughts.......

Thanks

Glenn

Glenn,

-Ryan

Hey Ryan,

I've noted on your avatar, that you have what appears to be a Melody Maker with more than just one tone and one volume knob. Is that customized? Love the Yellow but they didn't have it......

Glenn

Hey Ryan,

I've noted on your avatar, that you have what appears to be a Melody Maker with more than just one tone and one volume knob. Is that customized? Love the Yellow but they didn't have it......

Glenn

Mine is a '64 Melody Maker D (Double pickup model). The original double pickup Melody Makers had 2 volumes and 2 tones, but the new ones don't. Mine has a larger control cavity than the current Melody Makers. Mine's what they just called "Sunburst" back then by the way.

-Ryan

Mine is a '64 Melody Maker D (Double pickup model). The original double pickup Melody Makers had 2 volumes and 2 tones, but the new ones don't. Mine has a larger control cavity than the current Melody Makers. Mine's what they just called "Sunburst" back then by the way.

-Ryan

It is certainly a looker and with dual cut outs, very nice I bet. I'm as I've noted trying to get multi-controls on mine, eventually. The concentric pots with a 250K/500K ones might work. I'd use the 250K for the volume and the 500 for the tone. I believe it is .22uF for the tone caps. Just mental meandering.

Much appreciate your time and informed opinions!

Glenn

Most consider 300k audio/log to be the "proper" pots for P-90's.

Most Specials would have had those. There are lots of origonal Junior's that had 500k volume with 250k tone.

Hello and thank you stein! Trying to make due with what I have found so far.... Still waiting on the guitar so it is a bit premature!

Glenn

Most consider 300k audio/log to be the "proper" pots for P-90's.

Most Specials would have had those. There are lots of origonal Junior's that had 500k volume with 250k tone.

My Melody Maker came stock with 250K everything, and I didn't change pots when I added the bridge P90. It still sounds just fine.

My Melody Maker came stock with 250K everything, and I didn't change pots when I added the bridge P90. It still sounds just fine.

I don't doubt your MM sounds fine. I was just trying to help by informing what would be a more common or "correct" value for a P-90 pickup.

Your MM did not come with P-90's, and if it did, it would likely have had either a 300k or 500k pot for the volume. Even if "fine" sounding for some, a 250k pot for volume would be the exception, not the rule.

Heck, why not try a 300k of 500k in that guitar yourself?

Heck, why not try a 300k of 500k in that guitar yourself?

For a few reasons:

1. I don't need any more highs out of this guitar. It's bright enough.

2. I like the taper on the current 250k pots.

3. The electronics (minus the bridge pickup) are all original, and I don't want to tamper with them unnecessarily.

-Ryan

Booo, bad news. Received the Satin Melody Maker Special yesterday. Returning it tomorrow. Electronics not working properly according to Gibson Tech support, cosmetic issues and string spacing issues with the stopbar tailpiece. Last chance, upgrading to a Les Paul Jr. Special w/p90s. Hope this one is a good example of Gibson's quality. Fingers crossed!

Thanks for all the help!

Glenn

Booo, bad news. Received the Satin Melody Maker Special yesterday. Returning it tomorrow. Electronics not working properly according to Gibson Tech support, cosmetic issues and string spacing issues with the stopbar tailpiece. Last chance, upgrading to a Les Paul Jr. Special w/p90s. Hope this one is a good example of Gibson's quality. Fingers crossed!

Thanks for all the help!

Glenn

A Jr. Special, (or Jr, or Special) is a significant upgrade over the MM line. I would say it's definitely a good move.

I like the idea behind the MM line, but I wouldn't be too hard on them as far as "cosmetic" issues. They weren't meant to be anything more than a cheap guitar, and really the charm IS the cheapness. Especially the new ones.

Good move. You get what you pay for, but the Jr. Special really is a great value to say the least, and also really where the actual "Gibby-ness" starts for electrics. Note you also get the real-deal pups and such, hardware, etc.

Archived