Gibson Brands Forums

Epi SG400 Custom ... with P90's?

Spyke1

Hi all,

Been a while since I posted. I've been offered a beautiful cream Epi G400 Custom in excellent condition, really nicely set up - but I'm really hankering after a P90 equipped guitar. Just wondering if anyone has ever modded an SG400 and added three P90's to it. Was it a big deal? Did it make a good "P90 guitar"? Did it look and sound cool?

Thanks,

Ant

Thanks - but... I've just spotted the 50th Anniversary P90 SG, and it's almost as cheap as the second hand SG custom. Will have to look around for one of them I think. ;)

Ant

I had one of those P-90 SG Special, as I'm a P-90 fan, but didn't like the neck at all. It's an extreme D-shape, so it was wide across the strings, but very shallow in depth. For guys with big hands, it feels thin and empty; for guys with small hands it's too wide. I sold the guitar. Play it before you buy it.

If you don't like the neck, you can get a regular G-400 and put in HB-sized P-90's, as I've done. GFS makes a great one, the Mean 90, that's affordably-priced and popular on the Duncan forum (who are a picky bunch of guys). Another option, which I've also done, is put one of those in the neck slot, and leave a humbucker in the bridge.

I found one second hand online at a great price, including strap gig bag etc, and in TV Yellow! The company has a 7 day no quible return policy so I took a chance and if I don't like it will send it back. But I suspect I will like it. Re the neck profile... well I'll have to wait and see.

Thanks for the advice Bluemans, but there's none in the stores locally - I checked today before placing the order. ;)

Ant

PS Woohoo!

I found one second hand online at a great price, including strap gig bag etc, and in TV Yellow! The company has a 7 day no quible return policy so I took a chance and if I don't like it will send it back. But I suspect I will like it. Re the neck profile... well I'll have to wait and see.

Thanks for the advice Bluemans, but there's none in the stores locally - I checked today before placing the order. ;)

Ant

PS Woohoo!

Maybe you'll like the neck. The D-shape is something new for Epiphone. I'm a big guy with big hands, and don't like skinny necks.

Archived