Gibson Brands Forums

epiphone Joe Bonamassa Goldtop

corazon4956

Hello everybody,

I'm from Germany. I have bought me a Epiphone Joe Bonamassa Goldtop - a fine guitar for the money.

I would like to upgrade this guitar with parts of ABM (bridge and stoptail). It's a small german

company which sells high quality parts.

Is there anybody who has experience in this case. Does it make a big step ahead in case of playability

and sound?

Thank you in advance for your replay.

with kind regards

Bernd Schwarz

Welcome aboard!

Upgrading hardware will help the tone and sustain a small amount. I don't think you'll notice a difference in playability. Epi doesn't use the highest quality hardware, and that's the norm for their price range. Is it worth it... that depends on how much you want to spend and if you have the cash laying around. Make sure the replacement parts will fit Epis, some don't.

The biggest thing that impacts the sound of a guitar that's already been manufactured, is changing the pickups. The Bonamassa LP comes with Burstbuckers, and I think those are the best PU's Gibson currently makes.

Are you a Bonamassa fan? I just saw him a couple months ago in concert, and it was the best show I've ever seen. He puts a lot of effort into giving an audience a first class performance, in every aspect.

Hi,

thank you for your reply. Before I will make my decision I have to try these hardware. If the advantage is only marginal I will reject to upgrade my Epi.

By the way I had the opportunity to see Bonamassa life in a concert in Germany. He is phantastic! When he is playing his soli he is very creative -

no stereotypes in comparison to Eric Clapton for instance. Clapton is not bad but Bonamassa is playing one a higher level in my opinion.

For me he is the best blues guitar player in the world.

I'm a very big fan of him!

cheers

Bernd

I have a bunch of Epi's and just upgrade the PU's on them (until recently, most Epi's had mediocre PU's). Some guys get carried away and replace everything, but by then they've spend enough money to have bought a Gibson. My theory is: It's a mid-price guitar, keep it that way. Upgrades usally won't increase it's market value. With your JB Gold Top, you have a very nice guitar. I have one of the Epi 1959 Les Paul limited editions (also with Burstbucker 2 and 3) and there's no need to replace anything on it.

Yes, Bonamassa is on a level few guitarists ever reach. Amazing player. But he doesn't stop there, he makes sure the entire concert experience is second-to-none. I really admire that. He's really raised the bar.

I have a bunch of Epi's and just upgrade the PU's on them (until recently, most Epi's had mediocre PU's). Some guys get carried away and replace everything, but by then they've spend enough money to have bought a Gibson. My theory is: It's a mid-price guitar, keep it that way. Upgrades usally won't increase it's market value. With your JB Gold Top, you have a very nice guitar. I have one of the Epi 1959 Les Paul limited editions (also with Burstbucker 2 and 3) and there's no need to replace anything on it.

Yes, Bonamassa is on a level few guitarists ever reach. Amazing player. But he doesn't stop there, he makes sure the entire concert experience is second-to-none. I really admire that. He's really raised the bar.

Hi,

just want to inform you that I made my decision. I do not upgrade my epi. The cost would be too high in relation to the basic prize as you told me. I informed my luthier to built in a bone saddle and to make some work on the fretboard because I had some buzzing when I tried to play in the upper part of the neck.

Greetings from Germany.

cheers

Bernd

Hi,

just want to inform you that I made my decision. I do not upgrade my epi. The cost would be too high in relation to the basic prize as you told me. I informed my luthier to built in a bone saddle and to make some work on the fretboard because I had some buzzing when I tried to play in the upper part of the neck.

Greetings from Germany.

cheers

Bernd

Probably the best decision. However, if you do decide to upgrade in the future bear in mind that Epiphone dimensions / spacing re hardware like bridges are metric whereas Gibson is Imperial except where the parts themselves are Gibson originals.

Archived