Gibson Brands Forums

Speaking of Wayne Henderson

RichG

There is a book called "Rockin' Garages" featuring rock musicians and a couple of builders who are into cool cars. There is a section devoted to Mr. Henderson. Most of these guys have great guitar collections, too, which are pictured in the book. It is a coffee table style book with lots of great pictures.

Wayne has a 57 Thunderbird.

Rich

Hey RichG....I agree, cars and guitars go together! I noticed on your 'list' was a '39 J55.

I would be interested in seeing pics or reading stories and details on that one.?

Rod

Rod

This thread has some:

http://forum.gibson.com/index.php?/topic/95175-factory-records/

I can't post from this iPad, but if you want to pm me with your email I can send you some. I have to upgrade my iPad OS before I can get on one of those photo sharing sites. The pictures on that other thread were put up by tvguit after I mailed them to him..

The J-55 came from Jay Geils collection. We have been friends since college......since before he could play guitar!

He is in that book also and there is a picture of his collection. He collects arch top acoustic and electric guitars but had this flat top along with a J-100 and an ES250 because they were the only Gibsons with the stair step head stock. He wanted to keep them together but somebody offered him crazy $ for the ES250 so after that went he didn't care for the flat tops so much, so I got lucky. There were 55 J-55 made with the stair step head stock, all in 1939.

It has been refinished a long time ago and it has a few repairs but it sounds great. It's what got me going on Gibsons. it made me come to this board and discover all the great new guitars Gibson is building....and that cost me a few bucks, but I sold a couple of guitars I wasn't playing much, so I told my wife I'm even. :D

Rich

I am also into cars a little and have a 66 and a 68 Vette. But they are tucked away for the winter!

Thanks for the info, Rich! I must have been absent on your December posting about this guitar..?? Cool story with the J. Geils friendship! His, used to be a favorite band of mine at live shows in the early 70's!

I own a great '65 SG Special that was rumoured to be one from his collection......Who knows? A great example, at any rate.....Hell, it could be the SG that J.Geils 'wished' he had owned..[lol]

I will have to find a copy of the book....sounds like a good one[thumbup]

Yeah, I was kind of a newbie then and posted that stuff in the vintage section. Jay is playing a lot of 40's and 50's jazz nowadays and has two CDs out. There is a version on one of "Sunny Side of The Street" that blows me away.

You will like the book. Amazon has it. They had a book signing here on LI as a fund raiser for the Super Storm Sandy relief and it was at Billy Joel's motor cycle museum/collection. Jay was there so I got to meet Billy. He's got a few cool bikes!

I can ask about the SG if you want.

Rich

Archived