Gibson Brands Forums

New member back with Epiphone

Mrmajstyk

I just joined today after having spent a few weeks reading various posts regarding the EJ-200 and the EJ-200CE.

After checking out the reviews, pros and cons, and reading up on the specs, I was intrigued and started to try to find one or two to actually play.

The first was a "brand-new" EJ200 in Vintage Sunburst right off of the wall at Sam Ash. It was the only one they had, and it was a mess. The neck had a rise in it where it met the body of the guitar, but it did have a bow after that. It was kinda like a roller-coaster! The strings were old and flat-sounding and there were numerous "dead-spots" where notes would not even play! They offered me a huge discount, but only after telling me that the guitar had been discontinued and that I might not be able to get it fixed under warranty. And I knew I was going to have to install some sort of electronics to be able to play it live...so, needless to say, I passed.

Then, I was in GC and they just took in a used EJ-200CE in natural finish...it looked like new, just a gorgeous guitar, and as soon as I strummed my first chord on it I was hooked! Then I plugged it in and played with the esonic2 electronics and thought "yep...this is it!" However, they just took the guitar in and it wouldn't be able to leave the store til after March 1st. (They have a 30 day hold on used instruments). And they wanted almost what a new one goes for. Plus, I know the warranty is not transferable. After checking just about every store in my area, I couldn't find a new one anywhere!

So...knowing what I wanted...and wanting a full warranty...I took a huge chance and ordered a new one online. I ordered it on Saturday and it came on Tuesday! I guess I lucked out because this one just sings right out of the box! Even with the factory strings on it! Amazing! And it's a beautiful guitar! Natural finish, gold tuners, fancy pickguard, moustache bridge. Just gorgeous! (I also ordered the Epi hardshell case for it). Looks and plays great!

Took it to the gigs the next two nights and the guys in the band were blown away...as was the audience! I can't remember getting more comments about an instrument (unless I bring my 1964 Gretsch to a gig!) I just plug it in to my Hot Rod Deluxe amp on the clean setting...wow!

I am what is referred to as a "tribute artist" of sorts. I do "Rat Pack" shows all over the country, but at home I do my own show with my band, doing Johnny Cash, Neil Diamond, Elvis, Dylan, rockabilly, etc, so the guitars I use not only have to sound great, but have to have a certain "look". This guitar just nails both!

So..anyway...that's my story! Happy with my guitar and happy to be here!

Many grats on the new axe Mr.! Send us some pictures of that bad boy so we can ohhhh and awwww too. On a side note, ordered it on Saturday, got it on Tuesday.... Who did you order the guitar from if you don't mind me asking. That's the kinda service I like.

Welcome to the forums!

Adam

Thanks Red!

Sorry it has taken so long to respond, but I was pretty busy with gigs! I am happy

to report that the EJ sounds better with every passing day. Just put new Martin SP strings

on it. I think it came with D'Addarios...which sounded good too! I use 12's.

I couldn't be happier! What a great sounding guitar!

The ONLY critique I could possibly make is regarding the location of the strap button on the heel of the neck. If you use both

of the factory installed strap buttons while standing, the guitar wants to face the floor. A minor irritation. But I just did what I do on my Guild D-5...I have this thing from Planet Waves called the "Acoustic Quick Release". It attaches to the headstock, safe secure and, best of all, I don't have to drill any holes to re-locate the pin. PLUS,,,it looks kinda "retro-cool"!

Adam, I got the guitar and case from zZounds.com. EXCELLENT customer service! Here's a few pics. (Luckily I'm a better guitarist than I am a photographer! LOL)

post-53321-078335500 1361259357_thumb.jpg

post-53321-015536000 1361259380_thumb.jpg

Thanks Red!

Sorry it has taken so long to respond, but I was pretty busy with gigs! I am happy

to report that the EJ sounds better with every passing day. Just put new Martin SP strings

on it. I think it came with D'Addarios...which sounded good too! I use 12's.

I couldn't be happier! What a great sounding guitar!

The ONLY critique I could possibly make is regarding the location of the strap button on the heel of the neck. If you use both

of the factory installed strap buttons while standing, the guitar wants to face the floor. A minor irritation. But I just did what I do on my Guild D-5...I have this thing from Planet Waves called the "Acoustic Quick Release". It attaches to the headstock, safe secure and, best of all, I don't have to drill any holes to re-locate the pin. PLUS,,,it looks kinda "retro-cool"!

Adam, I got the guitar and case from zZounds.com. EXCELLENT customer service! Here's a few pics. (Luckily I'm a better guitarist than I am a photographer! LOL)

That's sure a beautiful looking EJ-200! Nice catch! Enjoy it for years. Epiphones are great guitars!

Archived