Gibson Brands Forums

Is this a capo?

pschaafs

I dug this up:

My way of “turning off the lights” is to invent new tunings and to employ my own home-made partial capos (that is, capos that bar two, three, or four strings while leaving the others alone) in order to alter the relationships of the strings to one another, so that familiar chord shapes no longer work (or work in very different ways), so that nothing on the fretboard is where you might expect it to be. For me, this is creatively refreshing and stimulates new work.

What I look for in a tuning is one that suggests a color or mood by itself. The writing process, the going into the unknown, is largely instinctual. Navigating that new terrain becomes a piece of music. Very few of my pieces are in the same tuning (two or three at the most). Most tunings are only used for one piece of music, and I have more songs that employ partial capos than songs played without them.

But these are just spurs to my particular creative process. For the listener, it’s my hope that the mechanical or technical aspects of the piece are invisible; that what you hear is the song, and its emotional component.

Archived