Gibson Brands Forums

Replacing elecs in 1980's Emperor

Berek

New user here....

I recently bought an Epiphone Emperor (not Joe Pass). It has no serial number and the sticker was removed. Nothing inside either, so I can only guess at the year as 1988 - 1992?? It was made in Korea. Truss rod cover says "Gibson". No "Joe Pass" sig anywhere. Toggle switch is on lower bout.

I would like to replace the elecs and pups someday. I just replaced all the cheap minipots in an Epi Sheraton II with full sized CTS pots from Mojotone. The pots would not go through the f holes until I filed away ( I know HORRIBLE! but I am never going to sell the guitar) some of the inner edge of the f hole.

Anyway, I don't want to have the same issues with this Emperor. Do normal full sized pots fit easily, or better yet, can work be done through the pickup holes?

Is there any way to date this more accurately without numbers? All parts look original.

Thanks,

Berek Halfhand

post-53507-066701300 1360686682_thumb.jpg

Full hollows are easier than semi's, you've got more room in there to work with. CTS pots have thick stems, and you'll have the same issue. I'd use regular Alpha pots so you don't have to enlarge the holes, I get mine at StewMac.

Any thoughts on what PU's you'll use? Anything hot will hide the acoustic overtones and feedback easier. I'd recommend a set of high-quality PAF's, like Gibson Burstbuckers or Duncan Seths.

Full hollows are easier than semi's, you've got more room in there to work with. CTS pots have thick stems, and you'll have the same issue. I'd use regular Alpha pots so you don't have to enlarge the holes, I get mine at StewMac.

Any thoughts on what PU's you'll use? Anything hot will hide the acoustic overtones and feedback easier. I'd recommend a set of high-quality PAF's, like Gibson Burstbuckers or Duncan Seths.

Thanks for the reply.

Haven't given much thought to what the replacement parts will be yet since I just finished the Sheraton. Actually I didn't have to powerdrill out the holes for the pots. I was able to put the 3/8" bit in the existing holes and just turn it with my fingers to shave a bit out. The holes only needed to be loosened up. The Sheraton has Classic 57's in it now.

Yeah I won't be going with anything real high gain. Main uses for this guitar will be as back up for an Epiphone Emperor Regent in a big jazz band (18 pieces), and as another blues/jazz axe to go with an Epi ES-175 reissue and the Sheraton. Also sometimes the jazz band will do some Brian Setzer stuff, the Emperor (non-Regent) will be better for that. Maybe I should put Filtrons or something similar in??

Just happy I won't have to be fishing through f-holes anymore.

-bhh

I did the same job a couple of years ago. I attached bits of different coloured cotton to the threads of the pots, jack socket etc so I knew which bit came from where when I pulled the whole lot out. It also made it easier to pull the (new) bits back into place. I did have to take off the tailpiece because there was an earth wire to it, yours may or may not have this, but be aware that it might. I put a pair of IronGear Blues Engines (from Axetec) in mine, they're alnico 4 so they seem reasonably bright for a PAF type. Great PUPS for around £75.00 a pair.

New user here....

I recently bought an Epiphone Emperor (not Joe Pass). It has no serial number and the sticker was removed. Nothing inside either, so I can only guess at the year as 1988 - 1992?? It was made in Korea. Truss rod cover says "Gibson". No "Joe Pass" sig anywhere. Toggle switch is on lower bout.

I would like to replace the elecs and pups someday. I just replaced all the cheap minipots in an Epi Sheraton II with full sized CTS pots from Mojotone. The pots would not go through the f holes until I filed away ( I know HORRIBLE! but I am never going to sell the guitar) some of the inner edge of the f hole.

Anyway, I don't want to have the same issues with this Emperor. Do normal full sized pots fit easily, or better yet, can work be done through the pickup holes?

Is there any way to date this more accurately without numbers? All parts look original.

Thanks,

Berek Halfhand

Your Epi Emperor II (with the 3-way in the cutaway) was made by Samick in Korea between 1988 and 1992.

These and the Joe Pass came with no label inside and the only reference to a year of production, would be a peel off sticker on the back of the headstock.

If there is no sticker, then someone has peeled it away.

The Joe Pass version had the 3-way switch moved to the upper bout (similar to a ES-175) the way Joe Pass liked to play them, since he played an ES-175

before he started to promote the Epi EmpII as a Joe Pass model.

Attached is a picture of mine.

post-17115-079547200 1360852049_thumb.jpg

Archived