Gibson Brands Forums

Les Paul Wiring Upgrade Opinions

mathew_79

Hi, I have an Epiphone Les Paul Std. Korean, with Seymour Duncan Alnico II Pro Humbuckers.

I really would like to upgrade the electrics but I am not very confident when it comes to choosing the right parts. From looking at numerous forums I've come up with this:

2x Log Volume 500k CTS Pots.

2x Lin Tone 500k CTS Pots.

2x .022 Orange Drop Caps.

New 3 way switch.

New wiring.

Does this look about right?

I'm not looking to spend too much as I've just bought a USA Les Paul and new amp.

I'd be grateful for your expertise in this area. I'm UK based so would probably get the parts from Axerus and have them installed by a local tech.

Thank you in advance.

Is there something malfunctioning? If not, are you expecting something from such an "upgrade"?

Well, the tone controls are crackling and I use them quite a lot. I've tried contact cleaner but to no avail. I thought I would just replace the lot. I would like the replacements to be an improvement on what I have. In terms of tone, I've read that I could maybe expect more 'clarity' from using these parts but I sense you may not think that would be the case? I would like to think I was 'upgrading'..I'd welcome any suggestions of better components.

Thanks.

Replacing the pots will get rid of the crackle noise, but you're unlikely to hear any difference in tone. Scratchy pots need to go, just don't expect more benefits.

Have you adjusted the PU and pole piece heights? That changes EQ and output. I have an A2P set in an Epi LP and like it alot. On the neck PU, I lowered it and raised the pole pieces, that shifts the coil balance slightly and makes it a little brighter and clearer-sounding. You can do this to the bridge PU too if need be.

Replacing the pots will get rid of the crackle noise, but you're unlikely to hear any difference in tone. Scratchy pots need to go, just don't expect more benefits.

Have you adjusted the PU and pole piece heights? That changes EQ and output. I have an A2P set in an Epi LP and like it alot. On the neck PU, I lowered it and raised the pole pieces, that shifts the coil balance slightly and makes it a little brighter and clearer-sounding. You can do this to the bridge PU too if need be.

That's good to know thank you. I've changed the PU height but not the pole pieces; for some reason I hadn't considered that. Just last week I adjusted the pole pieces on my P90s (Gold Top) and it made such a difference. Thanks.

Yep, that's a genuine malfunction. Happened to my Epi after about 3 years. I agree that replacing all of it with quality components (CTS and Switchcraft) makes sense. After I did mine, the guitar sounded exactly the same, minus the scratchiness, but I didn't expect a tonal improvement just because of a new control assembly.

BTW, I used all audio taper pots (they're more commonly stocked by sellers) and they're fine. Got the parts from Guitar Nucleus, where the prices were quite reasonable.

Thanks for that. The prices are really reasonable.

Hi, I have an Epiphone Les Paul Std. Korean, with Seymour Duncan Alnico II Pro Humbuckers.

I really would like to upgrade the electrics but I am not very confident when it comes to choosing the right parts. From looking at numerous forums I've come up with this:

New 3 way switch.

New wiring.

Does this look about right?

I'm not looking to spend too much as I've just bought a USA Les Paul and new amp.

I'd be grateful for your expertise in this area. I'm UK based so would probably get the parts from Axerus and have them installed by a local tech.

Thank you in advance.

You might try the PIO style caps instead of the orange drops. I've used both but subjectively I like the sound of paper in oil caps better.

Try them both at least.

New 3 way switch.

New wiring.

No.

We have much to talk about.

There are four basic configurations. (most others are derived from them)

What scheme are you going with?

Let's start with the basics...

Are you going with Modern Dependent...Modern Independent...50's Dependent ...or...50's independent?

What others have said is good info.

Still,

What you need to understand is how the different pot tapers and different schemes can effect the utility with which

you control your guitar. (Do you understand pot tapers and their ramifications?)

Aside from that, will it effect the sound?

Yes, and you may notice a bit of difference if you actually use your controls.

Can you stand in front of a band and say, " Wow, he probably has "Modern Independent Wiring" with PIO caps?

Probably not!

So...Waz Up?

Willy

Archived