Gibson Brands Forums

Case for pre war J-35 and L-5, L-7, or j-200

Andrew Lardner

Hi,

I'm a brand new user and registered here because I wanted to post a wanted ad in the appropriate forum for a possible trade for these vintage gibson cases. Unfortunately I can't post there because I don't have enough posts here so I wanted to instead start a discussion regarding these old cases. I have a guitar that is being restored that just so happens to be nearly identical in dimensions to the L-5 or J-200 bodies and I think one of their cases would fit my guitar.

I'd like to know if anybody here has a vintage case for an L7 or j-200 from the late 30s or early 40s and if you'd be interested in selling it. I'd also be willing to do an even trade for a really awesome Geib tweed case I have that is original for an early 40s J-35. It has stripes on the tweed and a purple interior, and I'll try to post photos. Feel free to email me through the forum, I'm located in either Milwaukee or St. Louis depending on what time of the year it is and would love to meet up for a trade.

Nice case Andrew. I love the Geib tweed cases. I have a J-200 tweed case like that one but it isn't for sale. I'm going to the Spartanburg, SC show the 23rd so I'll be on the lookout for one. Got a picture of that J-35??

Actually, as weird as it seems, I think I have just what you want and I have a prewar J-35 without a case. I will say we always take our prewar instruments out of the original cases and put them into a modern case -- just for safety. We always keep the original cases, but it turns out that we have occasionally acquired old cases that do not go with any of our instruments. The case in question is currently "assigned to" our 37 L-4, but it did not come with that instrument.

I have pictures on-line somewhere, but I have not yet been able to find them. I'll post as soon as I find them or tomorrow when I get home.

Best,

-Tom

I found them.

lukecase1.jpg

lukecase2.jpg

Here it is with the L-4 in it.

lukecasel4.jpg

Thanks for those Tom,

That is the case that was original to the guitar in question, a Euphonon. I have two of those actually. Mine are too big for the guitar. Does that one have a 17in l.b.? I think the two I have have an 18 or 18.5 l.b., probably a more appropriate case for a super 400. I was really hoping to find a 17in tweed which would probably have a narrower upper bout than those purple geibs.

I've watched many of your videos on vimeo by the way and admire your collection.

Nice case Andrew. I love the Geib tweed cases. I have a J-200 tweed case like that one but it isn't for sale. I'm going to the Spartanburg, SC show the 23rd so I'll be on the lookout for one. Got a picture of that J-35??

Yes understandable, I figure many people who have what I'm looking for may not want to separate it from the guitar. And the case has lost it's J-35 and is now all by itself.

Thanks for those Tom,

That is the case that was original to the guitar in question, a Euphonon. I have two of those actually. Mine are too big for the guitar. Does that one have a 17in l.b.? I think the two I have have an 18 or 18.5 l.b., probably a more appropriate case for a super 400. I was really hoping to find a 17in tweed which would probably have a narrower upper bout than those purple geibs.

I've watched many of your videos on vimeo by the way and admire your collection.

Kind of pricey -

http://www.ebay.com/itm/PRE-WWII-GIBSON-RED-LINE-CASE-FITS-J35-J45-J55-SJ-16-ARCHTOPS-L-5-L-7-/230900420106?pt=Guitar&hash=item35c2bcce0a

Thanks for the replies everyone. I'm still hunting for something. I settled on a TKL Elite 17in tweed case that should do the job just fine for the time being.

FYI, I bought a TKL 8920 case for my 1947 L-7 (17"). This one is referred to as the "professional" series, and it is one step down from the Elite. It fits very well--better than most vintage cases, which were rarely a really good fit or properly padded, as they generally had to serve several different guitar designs.

Due to the fact the the L-7 is arch top and arch back, the case fits nearly perfectly, even though I suspect it is really designed around the J-200, which is slightly deeper, but is basically flat backed and flat topped. The 17" L-5/L-7 are essentially the same body shape and size as the J-200 in plan view.

Although I like vintage cases, I've found that high-quality modern cases like this TKL usually fit better and offer better protection for the instrument than most vintage cases.

Archived