Gibson Brands Forums

1965 Byrdland Custom

JimR56

I just mentioned this in another forum where I brought up an older thread about it, but I think it deserves a new discussion here in the Vintage forum.

I was browsing ebay tonight, and I came across someone selling the "Encore" page from the Dec. 2001 issue of Guitar Player Magazine, which featured a 1965 Byrdland Custom. I was no longer subscribing to GP at that point, so I never saw this before. It was purchased (ordered) by a Gibson employee, at the discounted price of $300.

$T2eC16FHJIIE9qTYI5bDBQJsiMNzOQ~~60_57.JPG

[This photo is linked from ebay, so it may disappear at some point in the near future].

Pretty amazing and rare custom order. With all of these non-stock features like a double cutaway body, stereo and varitone wiring, Grover tuners, nickel plated parts, AND a Bigsby tailpiece, all on one guitar, that's pretty unusual, right?

Custom and rare Gibsons are just so cool and interesting. We had a thread here recently about the 1961 Crest model (which has some similarities to this Byrdland), which is mega-rare. I find these golden era custom Gibsons very exciting to see when they turn up.

Just for fun, I'd like people's opinions on what the chances are that there's another custom Byrdland out there that has all of the features of this '65.

Archived