Gibson Brands Forums

New to forum and a little help requested

LostWages

Greetings all,

I am brand spanking new to the Gibson forums, but saw the acoustic section and thought I'd start here. I was given a Gibson by my grandfather many years ago and yesterday my mom gave me a serial number from the neck (perhaps near tuning pegs) with the number being 0615-6. It's an old flat top acoustic and I have not looked inside (as it's in Oklahoma and I am in CA). Anyone have any ideas based on that identifying number? It's pretty old and the finish has all the looks of the cracking - I think it was once identified with a sunburst design, but that has long since faded as it's now a brown color. Wish I had a photo I could add...but don't...yet! :)

Thanks for any help or a point in the right direction!

Without photos and more information it is going to be real tough to help you. That FON though looks like the guitar could date back to the late-1930s. I have never seen an FON though that started with an "0". Does not mean they don't exist - just that I hage never seen one.

Without photos and more information it is going to be real tough to help you. That FON though looks like the guitar could date back to the late-1930s. I have never seen an FON though that started with an "0". Does not mean they don't exist - just that I hage never seen one.

Hi ZombyWoof - thank you for the partial information. I will try to see if I can get some photos of the guitar from various angles and add them here to see if you or anyone else might be able to lend a hand with identification. Thanks for the response!!

Hi ZombyWoof - thank you for the partial information. I will try to see if I can get some photos of the guitar from various angles and add them here to see if you or anyone else might be able to lend a hand with identification. Thanks for the response!!

There are plenty of people here who can pretty easily identify virtually any Gibson guitar ever built, but it is impossible to do without pictures and some other details that may seeem unimportant to you, but are critical to the process. We get requests such as yours almost every day.

You should look at the "Forum Feedback" section for detailed instructions on how to post photos using a free hosting service such as Photobucket. These instructions are pinned as the first post in that section.

Welcome to the forum.

Hi all - thank you for the tips and information. As soon as I can get some pictures of the old gal, I'll load them for review. I'm actually going to go pick up 'bessie' (called the guitar that since Grandpa gave it to me). It was a birthday present when I was 12 and he had purchased the guitar from one of his friends who'd played guitar for years and years. So I've never really researched it and this will be an interesting adventure. Just as a side note, I also have a lovely 1960 Les Paul Jr with the cherry finish and a single p-90 pickup. I need to get the pots checked as there's a small short in the one - but I digress, that's a story for the electric guitar forum, not the acoustic! :)

Thanks a million for the help and info - I enjoy learning and seeing some of these beautiful pieces of guitar history.

Cheers all!

• 2 weeks later...

Archived