Gibson Brands Forums

good years for explorer?

mcv

Well I just picked up one 3rd hand made in 2008 and I love it. Feels great and sounds huge!! As I have posted already in another thread the only thing wrong are the Grover tuners. Pure low-grade crap. Switching them out soon.

ok, which tuners would you recomend?

The only specs that yuu need to consider is that the current fingerboard is alternative wood, previous to 2012 (I think) it was rosewood or ebony on the white Explorers. Not sure what they are using right now but...it really does not matter.

The tuners are fine, no real need to replace them, it is just that they feel jerky when turning them, they don't feel smooth. They look good quality but it is obvious that they could have a better mechanism.

Still, they do hold tune well. I am heavy handed and my Explorer holds tuning well.

ok, which tuners would you recomend?

Luckily i have a 2008 model so have the lovely ebony board on my classic white explorer. Got so lucky finding that model. I love it. You instantly transform into James Hetfield when you put it on.

Yeah as Riffster said those tuners are jerky and very unreliable in my view. I have a huge problem with the quality of Grovers. I'm waiting for delivery of Hipshot Grip Lock Open tuners with a mounting plate that Hipshot custom made for me for FREE!! These are 18:1 ratio and are meant to be outstanding. Extremely smooth and accurate and locking, in my view, is the only way to go with pretty much any guitar.

Archived