Gibson Brands Forums

AJ220S Strings

Jim P.

Bought one about 2 months ago. Love it.

My guitar-savvy friends say the sound is thinning and the strings need to be replaced.

I'd like an exact or similar type of strings.

They said that the strings are of brass with phosphorus coating, and heavy gauge...

Could someone confirm that? -- Or recommend another type? I like these ones a lot though. Nice, rich sound.

This would be my first time buying strings ever. I'm not exactly familiar with types of strings, like those that say 0.12 - 0.54 and such...

Thanks.

Any high-quality phosphor bronze set of lights (12's, which is what the guitar came with) will do just fine.

I have a 220SCE same as yours but a cut away electric....they come with light .12 strings...I replaced mine with Elixir .12-.53 which are lights....I use only 80/20 Elixirs on it as it brightens it and makes it sound very clean and snappy, tho PB's are fine too if you prefer the slightly darker sound. Also recommended, I replaced the pins with Ebony pins...this combination make my 220 one of my most favored guitars. The 220 is a fine guitar, I just can't say enough about it for its price Range...remember you have a solid sitka top which requires humidification like all good guitars of between 40 and 50% to keep it singing and ringing like new! My 220 is the guitar on the right side of my picture.

Archived