Gibson Brands Forums

ADMIN. QESTION about Headstock Inlays or Not?

roadhog96

Is the Gibson logo and Crown on the headstock of the Memphis 335 Dot a decal or real inlay MOP? If they are a decal' date=' how long have they been a decal and when did they switch from real inlay.[/quote']

Hey roadhog96--

I'm glad you asked this question because I read your comments in another thread, and the question had been bothering me. When you noted that the inlay looked like it was only a set of stickers on the headstock, I thought, "What in the world am I paying for? I don't want to pay extra for stickers or decals." That is the route Fender takes to keep prices down, as do many other manufacturers, and if Gibson had moved to stickers, I was going to be upset.

I was mad enough about it that after my lesson this week, I started investigating all the headstocks on the new and old 335s in the shop, and I was fairly convinced by the comparison that a) nothing had changed; and :-$ that the headstocks all had inlays. I know I'm not an expert, but part of the difference for me was that the inlays often were ever so slightly sunken into the headstock. Decals tend to rise above the headstock as the layers of finish are put on. I wonder if what you saw on your guitar was an inlay that is not set real deep in the headstock so it looks like decal. But if you look at other new Gibsons in the shops, I think you'll see that more of them are flush or even sunken, both of which are good signs of inlay to me.

I was breathing a light sigh of relief after my investigation, but your direct question to admin puts me at ease.

Ignatius

the 335 has an inlaid headstock.

I have to question your answer because I have always believed the same thing myself. I have an '06 and '08 Memphis 335 Dot that I am trying to decide between the two this week. The entire edge of the logo and crown on the '06 have a rippled, raised border around it that looks like air bubbles under a piece of scotch tape. Were thes so called bubbles are you can not see the black color of the headstock showing through. When the '08 came in I started doing a comparison between the two for quality and workmanship. It's clearly visible when using a 6X lighted magnification. The '06 between the S and the O in Gibson has an air bubble on the edge that is raised high enough to stick a pin under it, looks like a ripple in it. Just looking at the headstock without magnification and natural light you can see the entire outline of these have a raised up, rippled border around them. There is a spec of red polishing compound stuck on the edge. My '06 LP 68 Custom and the '08 335 is just as smooth as glass. Looking at both under the magnifier you can't see any edges or borders at all. They look like real inlays. I have had four other people look at it besides myself and everyone says it looks like a decal or sticker that didn't stick around the deges before the top coast was applied. This '06 is new, sounds much better in tone than the '08, but has a few cosmetic and warrantee issues that I need to get resolved if I'm going to keep it. Do you think five people can see the same thing and all be wrong. If this is an inlay job then it's cracked around the intire edges and it's the worst job that I have ever seen.

Ok I believe you but it does look like a decal rather than an inlay. Apparently the lacquer finish around the inlay is all cracked making it look like a bubbled like appearance. The area is dull looking around the inlay, it's not black up to the edges of the inlay. Would this be a warrantee issue.

Archived