Gibson Brands Forums

Is gibson going down hill?

turtle

Guest Farnsbarns

This isn't the first post I've noticed this on this forum; esp when another member starts slamming Gibson on QC.

What makes the dealer have to be the 'factories' QC?

They should be just un-box, set-up (usually an after sale item) and sell.

What happens if they find one in a box that has "factory" QC issues, do they ship it back to the factory?

Well yes, but the missed in factory QC shouldn't have walked out the door to the dealer.

Dealer shouldn't have to be the end of the line QC.

I bet there are all sorts of rules for MF/GC and the alike to be able to ship a product back to the factory that makes it probably almost impossible to ship back before sold to end consumer.

Just thinking out loud here.

but the way we've setup our comsumer sales here in NA its 'just in time' staffing, that leaves too many of us over worked.

Factory QC is well Factory QC.

I might have missed a post here but I don't think that's what's been said. The dealer is responsible to do things like stop the guitar getting dinged in the shop, keep fresh strings on it, clean pots if it's been in stock for more that a few months (depends how much the pots get fiddled with in the shop but the more of that you get the more dings you'll get too), keep it set up and intonated, make sure they are sending you the correct spec instrument etc etc.

Now, while I agree that a dealer shouldn't have to be the second line QC I think they should take it upon themselves if the need is identified. I wouldn't buy an expensive guitar online but if someone does the dealer should look it over before sending it or be prepared to pay the return postage if there is a problem.

Should the dealer have to do QC?

Yes.

Two things here: "Factory QC" is something that would be the fault of Gibson (or any other maker), but that issue is between the dealer and the maker. It should never get to the showroom floor. If there are QC issues, there should be dealers complaining, not customers.

But really, what IS a "dealer"? What does that word mean? How could it NOT be the responsibility of a dealer to be held responsible for anything and everything they sell? If something isn't right, do you not blame the one who sold it to you? Do you not negotiate with the one selling? Do you not expect the deal-er to deliver what you asked for? Paid for?

Besides the confusion of expectations and definitions between dealer, broker, and shipper, a LOT of issues would be resolved by simply treating a dealer like a dealer, and expecting them to be. For example, got a scratch? A piant drip or imperfection? Maybe that guitar isn't worth $1875.89. Maybe, say, $1690.00? Bad fret work? I'm sure we can work something out, right? What about, "if you set it up for me. I'll buy it". Or hell, what about, "Set it up for me and I'll try it next week"?

Or even, if you don't like it, don't buy it. But in any case, if it sucks, maybe because it cost 1900 bucks, maybe it doesn't suck at 1400 bucks. Don't worry, be happy.

Of corse, this stuff is way easier and better in person. If it's online or out-of-town, I might suggest that conversations about such "dealership" issues would be in order before you buy or choose a dealer, such as what they will do for you, what you expect, and what they will give you when you choose to buy from them.

A Good Dealer, will not (knowingly) put an "problem" guitar, on it's selling floor. They just won't!

Their reputation, is more in question, if they do, than the brand's manufacturer. Then

again, you can't call MF or GC etc., a dealer, in the same sense you call a good, "Family

owned" or smaller "brick & mortar" dealer. The Big Box stores, are just TOO big, really...

to give each guitar the kind of QC, it should have. They're really "sales warehouses!"

Many times, the box from the factory isn't even opened, prior to shipment to the buying

customer. So, that (extra) "Final QC," that a great small dealer will do, by habit, doesn't

exist, in the "warehouse" environment. There are exceptions, of course..."Sweetwater" seems

to be one example, of that exception. I'm sure, there are other's as well.

Also, some (not ALL), of what's called "factory QC failures," are not that...but, can happen

in shipping, or due to climate changes, etc. And, of course, there are situations, where some instruments

SHOULD have been caught, at the factory, prior to shipping to the "Dealer!" But, "Stuff Happens!"

So, as a consumer, of mass produced products, it's OUR responsibility, to make sure what we buy

is acceptable, to US. One reason, alone, I never buy guitars, from "Sight unseen" warehouse

dealers. I'll wait, or even pay a bit more, drive a bit further, if needed, to have the opportunity, to test out,

sometimes, for quite awhile, before purchasing. As it is, I'm fortunate, that my much smaller,

family owned dealer, is also quite a bit less expensive, than most "Big Box" retailers. Sometimes,

by hundreds, even up to a "Grand" less, or more...depending on the instrument, and manufacturer's

markup.

Anyway, just my 2-cent's worth, and past experience. :)

CB

Archived