Gibson Brands Forums

An unknown Epi from the early 80s

togergo

Hi everybody!

I'm new here, first: sorry for my english.

I start this thread because I bought an Epiphone an I can't identify it. The previous owner said: He bought it in 1984 (it was new, or used, I don't know) - it's japanese, and he cut the label out, because it was easier / or cheaper when he came through the border. That's all I know

Pictures are here: https://plus.google.com/u/0/photos/104459820889277867374/albums/5849381029345943057

Thank you for the answers

It looks to me like the emperor series, but it looks to be missing the pick guard.

Yes, sorry, pickguard is on my table :) Thank you the answer, can the other informations be right? Is it an old japenese from the early 80s?

I would like to know a little bit more about it (wood, factory, price, etc). Is it possible, without the label? Thanks

Something smells fishy. That guitar is an Emperor II (pre Joe Pass), which as far as I know were never made in Japan, nor, to my knowledge, were they made as early as 1984.

Unless it's a rare prototype or some other unusual test item, it looks like a Korean Samick-made Emperor II from the late 80's or early 90's. Top is laminated spruce, sides and back are laminated flame maple, neck is 3-piece maple.

Something smells fishy. That guitar is an Emperor II (pre Joe Pass), which as far as I know were never made in Japan, nor, to my knowledge, were they made as early as 1984.

Unless it's a rare prototype or some other unusual test item, it looks like a Korean Samick-made Emperor II from the late 80's or early 90's. Top is laminated spruce, sides and back are laminated flame maple, neck is 3-piece maple.

Hi! Thanks for the answer. It's possible, but wierd, de seller isn't a 'noname' guy, and known as a reliable musician. The price was the price of a new Cort Yorktown, so it wasn't necessary to lie... but I didn't know anything about this guitars, so it's possible

it looks like a Korean Samick-made Emperor II from the late 80's or early 90's. Top is laminated spruce, sides and back are laminated flame maple, neck is 3-piece maple.

The GIBSON truss rod cover is a giveaway too - it's an early 90s Korean Samick-made guitar. The serial number is probably on the sticker inside, or on the back of the headstock, and it will start with S.

Looks like a nice one!

The GIBSON truss rod cover is a giveaway too - it's an early 90s Korean Samick-made guitar. The serial number is probably on the sticker inside, or on the back of the headstock, and it will start with S.

Looks like a nice one!

hi! thanks, there's no sticker, or number anywhere, that's why I wrote here :) thank's the answer!

I agree that this guitar is a Korean Samick....however, these modern-style Emperors began production in the 1980's. They were around in 1986 for sure, and I have them listed as beginning in 1984 on the wiki. The only thing that says this guitar is from the 1990's is the truss rod cover, but that could have been replaced. The screws on the truss cover have been replaced for sure, so whos to say that the whole thing wasnt replaced at some point.

Definitely a Korean Emperor from late 80's to 92 or so. I just picked one up super cheap. Pretty beat up, but plays nicely. As I researched this model I learned that many had only a serial number sticker on the back of the headstock, nothing inside. That is the case with mine, so precise dating is impossible. Also i believe it is not an Emperor II, just an "Emperor". The "II" wasn't added until the Joe Pass years. There are two versions of the Joe Pass as well. Early ones had the name on the truss rod cover, but nothing on the pickguard. Later (and current) models have the autograph on the pickguard.

I think the Cherry Sunburst may be unique to these models, but I am not sure.

-bhh

post-53507-061173400 1361987678_thumb.jpg

Definitely a Korean Emperor from late 80's to 92 or so. I just picked one up super cheap. Pretty beat up, but plays nicely. As I researched this model I learned that many had only a serial number sticker on the back of the headstock, nothing inside. That is the case with mine, so precise dating is impossible. Also i believe it is not an Emperor II, just an "Emperor". The "II" wasn't added until the Joe Pass years. There are two versions of the Joe Pass as well. Early ones had the name on the truss rod cover, but nothing on the pickguard. Later (and current) models have the autograph on the pickguard.

I think the Cherry Sunburst may be unique to these models, but I am not sure.

-bhh

There was indeed a Cherry Sunburst Joe Pass Emperor II. I think this color for any Emperor or Emperor II is a bit uncommon though. You dont see them a whole lot.

Also, you are correct. This is an Emperor, not an Emperor II. The Emperor was given the "II" designation when they moved the selector switch from the bottom to the top...and whatever else they did at that point. There was also a Joe Pass Emperor (not Emperor II) from 1991-1993.

Archived