Gibson Brands Forums

Faint Serial number and writing on back of headstock

Liamhere

Hi,

I have just received my SG standard by courier and I am concerned that I can hardly make out the serial number or "Made in USA" on the back of the headstock. It an ebony one so the stamp is painted over as opposed to varnished in the Cherry version. Is any one else's like that?

Additionally the paint is a bit thin on a couple of the edges. I am concerned about the quality of this guitar although the tome is fantastic.

Cheers

Liam

I just bought my daughter a new '08 Studio Les Paul and the serial # can't be read by most people. I have the QC card, and I know, or I probably couldn't either.

The quality is fine, but I too question this practice.

Best of luck.

Murph.

Hey ever one, I've got an Epiphone SG and I wanted to know the model since it was a hand-me-down kinda gift.

I've got the model # from the back of the head, and it was made in Korea but that's about it. I was wondering if anyone here knows of a website that will help you identify what kind of guitar you've actually got if you weren't the purchaser.

Thanks...

• 12 years later...

i too have a gibson studio T 2017 the serial number is imprinted fine but the made in usa stamp is only visible when holding upto the light ,it only concerns me if i come to sell it ,i have all original reciepts and case candy but like i say the stamp is hardly visable at all ,anyone else have this with there gibson