Gibson Brands Forums

Opinions on 650R & 700T pick ups

mako shark

Anyone use these ceramic p'ups ? Thinking of trying them in a Flying v.

How do they compare to the Dirty finger's as i think they are of similar resistance - around 15/16 K.

Must be good for metal, but do they work for clean ? Are they noisy ?

Thanks for any input.

I think these came out before Epi's PU upgrade (Probuckers and Alnico Classic Pros) so they're probably just generic Asian PU's. Aren't they just used on low end models?

Ceramic magnets are high output, bright, sterile, and stiff. Those are virtues in the world of hard rock and metal, and cut thru mega-distortion nicely. But, they don't have the character and color of alnicos and they don't clean up well. I've replaced the ceramic magnets in any of my PU's that had them, and put in alnicos.

What kind of music are you playing? I play blues and classic rock, and ceramics aren't a good fit.

Thanks guys,

Specifically want ceramics for a metal flying v - i have the 500t/496r ceramic's in my Gibbo' gothic explorer and really like them.

Was looking at the dirty fingers which are 16k ,but expensive. The Epi ceramics are a load cheaper, but i guess you get what you pays fer !

I have tried an Epi' gothic explorer with stock ceramics and it was not too far away from my Gibson, but i dont think pups were the650/700.

Archived