Gibson Brands Forums

Epiphone Les Paul Traditional Pro

Sandro

Hi guys,

looking for a used Epiphone Les Paul, I found that a guy not too far from where I live is selling a black Traditional Pro LP.

I haven't seen it yet, probably I'll be able to try it on coming Friday, but I'm very attracted by this guitar. The 2 Alnico pickups, splittable to single coil are an interesting plus.

I'd like to hear your opinions on this model, especially from proud owners [biggrin]

Messed with one at my buddy's shop today. I loved it. I personally don't have a use for splittable pots. I want one though. The slim taper neck is awesome. Sounds very good. The guitar weighs a ton! You'll need a good wide strap IMO. I love it.

I have a used 60's Tribute Pro in black cherry. Very nice guitar. Neck is on the thin side, typical '60's, and yes, the body is heavy, which I like. I'm not a fan of Gibson '57's. I had a couple sets and ended up selling them, as I will the '57's from this one. The high-end of both is kind of dull and rounded, and the neck could be clearer. I put a Gibson BB3 in the bridge of my Tribute and a Duncan Seth in the neck. Much better. But that's just me. I've gigged with it already and am pleased.

They're well-made guitars, and if the price is right, get it (provided it's in good condition). If you like the '57's, you're all set. If not, you can sell them and get something else. They come with hard cases; does this one have one?

Thanks for your answers guys! [biggrin]

Bluemans335, I think the Tribute Pro is a different model. The Traditional does not come with 57 pups.

Sorry, I get them mixed up (Tribute, Traditional, 1959, 1960, Std Pro). Does it have a Probucker 3 in the bridge and an Alnico Classic Pro in the neck? Good PU's. I like those better than Gibson '57 Classics. Traditionals are nice guitars, I'm tempted to get one to add to my Epi LP collection. You're checking it out tomorrow? Keep us posted.

I have a newer model with an Alnico Classic in the neck and Probucker 3 at the bridge. After hearing the Alnico versus the Probucker 2 that is on the Standard and Custom's, it produces a great variety of sound that anyone will be very happy with. Add the coil splitting and you have an almost unlimited array of settings with one guitar. I love the guitar and pups.

I have 2 left hand Epiphone Les Paul guitars. One is a 1997 Japanese make and the other a 2012 Les Paul Standard Pro. I am not impressed with the 2012. Maybe the pickups were not installed correctly or the wrong ones were used but the guitar doesn't sound as good as the 97. The 97 sounds much much better. I will admit however, I do not know the entire history of the 97. I purchased it used off Ebay. There is a possibility the pickups had been changed out for better ones.

I also have an 2012 Epiphone SG Standard Pro cherry. This guitar sounds better than my 2012 Les Paul too. As a matter of fact, I have a Dot Standard Tobacco Burst & SG Standard Ebony and those also sound better than the 2012 LP.

As a side note, I will be having both my Les Paul guitars rewired. I don't see why anyone would want a master volume control but then I am sure there is someone that does. I prefer to have the volume & tone controls per pickup. Individual controls lets me have much better control over what I want in the way of tone. But that is just me.

Archived