Gibson Brands Forums

Tonal differences between ES-175's

kleinman

Hi guys...what are the main tonal differences between a vintage single PAF ES-175 with wooden bridge, the two PAF models with wooden bridge and those equivalents with the steel TOM bridges ? Any first hand experiences here ?

I have the vintage single PAF model, wooden bridge and strung with old flatwounds....I find the sound/tone a bit woody and acoustic as well as slightly dull. I wish to liven up the sound by trying 12's roundwounds. Any opinions please ?

Thanks guys.

Seems to me you've already come to the right conclusions.

I used to have a TOM on my L-5. I converted it over to an Ebony bridge a few years ago, and the the sound changed just enough to be exactly what I was looking for (30/40's chunka chunka jazz rhythm guitar sound). You seem to want to go the other direction, and I can understand that too.

The TOM is going to brighten up the sound a bit, more metallic, less woody, even a bit more ring and sustain. Add to that roundwound strings and you are going to really change the way your 175 sounds. As the wood bridges are fixed interval intonation, a TOM will also give you micro intonation adjustments. If you have the original factory bridge base on your guitar, a TOM is a drop-in mod, but make to sure to measure and match post spacing anyway, there are many metric aftermarket parts out there that may not fit. I would also recommend a "no-wire" TOM, as any loose parts can buzz and vibrate on an archtop.

As for a two-pickup model, any holes cut in the soundboard, or anything attached to it will greatly affect the acoustic voice of the instrument. I would think this might be lessened somewhat by the laminated top maple top versus a carved spruce top, and since the ES-175 is designed to be played plugged in, the differences may even be subtle in the amplified voice. Having the second (bridge) pickup DOES give the option of a very different tone spectrum, and to some this could be very useful.

Since the TOM mod and roundwound strings are a bout a $60 experiment, and completely reversible, I'd say "give it a try". I would certainly try this before considering trading for, or buying a "D" model.

Seems to me you've already come to the right conclusions.

I used to have a TOM on my L-5. I converted it over to an Ebony bridge a few years ago, and the the sound changed just enough to be exactly what I was looking for (30/40's chunka chunka jazz rhythm guitar sound). You seem to want to go the other direction, and I can understand that too.

The TOM is going to brighten up the sound a bit, more metallic, less woody, even a bit more ring and sustain. Add to that roundwound strings and you are going to really change the way your 175 sounds. As the wood bridges are fixed interval intonation, a TOM will also give you micro intonation adjustments. If you have the original factory bridge base on your guitar, a TOM is a drop-in mod, but make to sure to measure and match post spacing anyway, there are many metric aftermarket parts out there that may not fit. I would also recommend a "no-wire" TOM, as any loose parts can buzz and vibrate on an archtop.

As for a two-pickup model, any holes cut in the soundboard, or anything attached to it will greatly affect the acoustic voice of the instrument. I would think this might be lessened somewhat by the laminated top maple top versus a carved spruce top, and since the ES-175 is designed to be played plugged in, the differences may even be subtle in the amplified voice. Having the second (bridge) pickup DOES give the option of a very different tone spectrum, and to some this could be very useful.

Since the TOM mod and roundwound strings are a bout a $60 experiment, and completely reversible, I'd say "give it a try". I would certainly try this before considering trading for, or buying a "D" model.

Thanks Larry. I will first try the 12's roundwounds just to hear if that is n't enough to liven up the tone and sustain a bit. No no...I will not trade for the D model, just wanna get rid of the "dullness"

Archived