Gibson Brands Forums

Epiphone Hummingbird Pro or AJ220 SCE

Nitin

Hi,

I am planning to buy and acoustic-electric guitar and I'm confused between these two guitars. As I am not able to find these two guitars in any of the stores here, I'm not sure how do they sound and how easy it is to play. I can see that Hummingbird Pro is a bit expensive than the AJ220SCE. But I couldn't make out the difference between the two other than the body shape, color and the tuner. Which one has better quality tone that will be suitable for backing vocals and which one is easy to play. I want to use it for recording in backing vocals (will be playing mostly chords and finger plucking).

Can you guys please help me figure out the ideal one for my purpose.

Thanks and regards,

Nitin

I own both guitars. Both guitars are good but they are different. But the Hummingbird wins out in overall performance. I own the 220sce and love it. But I find the 220SCE just a bit easier to sing with because it is quieter. It is clear and clean sounding, and does not ever over ride the human voice but allows the voice to shine through every time for me. The pick up esonic system works very good and is just about the same as on the Hummingbird. Both guitars have solid sitka tops, so both produce good solid wood tone. The Hummingbird is a bit louder and deeper. The Hummingbird is a dreadnought body style while the 220 is considered an AJ (advanced jumbo)....round shoulder design.. My 220 and HB tuners stay in tune nicely. I rank them both as a very good sounding guitars with excellent tone, or I would not have bought them...they sit next to my RainSong Carbon Fiber Dred, and my solid Mahogany Masterbilt DR-500mce, and two AJ Masterbilts. ...the Hummingbird is a great guitar loved by many for its looks, and many also say its delicious as honey tone. Either way, if you find a well built Epi which is set up nicely and you put new strings on it, I suspect you will love either one of them! Good luck, and let us know how it turns out for you! You can find one of each model on this link to compare them. They both cost the same price, about $299.

Hi,

I am planning to buy and acoustic-electric guitar and I'm confused between these two guitars. As I am not able to find these two guitars in any of the stores here, I'm not sure how do they sound and how easy it is to play. I can see that Hummingbird Pro is a bit expensive than the AJ220SCE. But I couldn't make out the difference between the two other than the body shape, color and the tuner. Which one has better quality tone that will be suitable for backing vocals and which one is easy to play. I want to use it for recording in backing vocals (will be playing mostly chords and finger plucking).

Can you guys please help me figure out the ideal one for my purpose.

Thanks and regards,

Nitin

Are you in the UK? Both guitars are listed on the dawson website and they publish stock levels by branch. Either find a store that has both or phone them and see if they can order them in for you to try. I find that there staff are always quite helpful.

I own an epiphone hummingbird and its a good guitar, especially considering the cost.

Mine needed setting up big time which I did myself, and it sings beautifully with a set of Elxr 11's

The only thing I would say is if your fond of the graphic on the scratchplate it does fade with playing.

I've never played a Hummingbird, when I was guitar shopping it was on my shortlist but not in stock. The AJ220 I got instead however is a gorgeous guitar, I think the only downside (if there is one) is that its a jumbo so larger than a dreadnought, which could be an issue for the smaller guitarist.

I have the 220; messed a bit with the Epi bird.

Either should work well enough, but you may wish also to look at something such as the Epi PR5e for accompaniment purposes. It's smaller than either and doesn't respond as well to a heavier style of flatpicking, but is very, very nice for fingerpicking, especially through a PA or amp.

Honestly, I think that playability and personal comfort is more important than variations in tone if you're doing much more than a very simple strumming. And that's whether we're talking Epi price tags or Gibson/Martin price tags.

I do think that regardless, the Epi is a great bang for the buck - or however you might put that sentiment in Brit-English common speech.

For what it's worth, I have three decent dread/aj style guitars plus a big '70s Ovation electric legend and ... my PR5e gets geometrically more pickin' time either at home or "out."

m

Archived