Gibson Brands Forums

Hand done VOS finish on a Black Beauty

donniecrump

I have found a Left Handed LP Custom Black Beauty in the UK WITHOUT a pick guard! And it has the Ebony fret board. I find the finish a little to glossy and wanted to remove the hardware and tone down the high gloss finish.

Is this possible? I have found several ideas on it but they seem to apply to stained not painted guitars. I know once you go to far with a painted LP then you are screwed as you have opened up a hole to the wood below.

Is there an effective way to tone down the high gloss? I could call it a "Road Worn" LP if I goof it but I would really like just a matte VOS finish instead.

I could do a test run on a piece of wood with a rough created LP paint scheme. Does anyone know what kind of clear coat they use?

FYI .. I updated my avatar with my current 92 LP Custom.

Personally I would not attempt it - but there are guys on these forums that probably could tell you what to do. They would want to know what year the guitar was built, from that could tell what type of finish Gibson put on to begin with - then how to tone it down.

• 2 weeks later...

I believe Gibson use a carnuaba wax over a gloss nitro to give that high gloss finish. I have an ES 137 in ebony done that way from new and it looks beautiful.

I would never dull that deliberately. On the other hand, i have a Gothic Explorer finished in a satin nitro ( is that the look your after?) that is a pain to keep

looking dull. As soon as you play it you polish it! I have used the afore mentioned ooo steel wool on that to dull it down, but it is not ideal. One day i will have

to respray a satin clear over it to get it back to perfect.

I guess i'm trying to advize you to play it in and let it dull naturally!

Archived