Gibson Brands Forums

'76 Gibson Marauder

Eight

Hello. I have a 1976 Gibson Marauder in fine condition. I am searching to determine a value for this vintage guitar. It is all original, no changes have been made. If anyone knows a good source to get some information I'd appreciate the guidance.

Closed ebay auctions will tell you what others have managed to sell theirs for on ebay, so if you are ebaying it that could be a plus. If for insurance, you can average up the sold amounts for a replacement value, or just insure it for whatever you want to insure it for. You can also use Gruhns book or Vintage Guitar magazine, they generally update values periodically. If yer selling it out of your garage, it's a crapshoot, you have to get the person that needs a Marauder to come by, that can be tricky.

Good luck with it. I haven't seen one in a hunnert years, I remember them.

rct

Closed ebay auctions will tell you what others have managed to sell theirs for on ebay, so if you are ebaying it that could be a plus. If for insurance, you can average up the sold amounts for a replacement value, or just insure it for whatever you want to insure it for. You can also use Gruhns book or Vintage Guitar magazine, they generally update values periodically. If yer selling it out of your garage, it's a crapshoot, you have to get the person that needs a Marauder to come by, that can be tricky.

Good luck with it. I haven't seen one in a hunnert years, I remember them.

rct

Thanks for the info. From what I have researched there were not that many Marauders made by Gibson, only around 1500 or so thru the late 1970's. Rarity might not = value. I am just trying to find my old guitar a good home. I am not looking to get rich, just determine fair value and then find someone that can use and appreciate the instrument.

Hello. I have a 1976 Gibson Marauder in fine condition. I am searching to determine a value for this vintage guitar. It is all original, no changes have been made. If anyone knows a good source to get some information I'd appreciate the guidance.

A follow up question for those in the know. Under the serial number on my Marauder is the Number 2. I have been told this indicates the guitar is a "second" - there may have been a problem when it was originally built by Gibson. I never had any issues and the guitar sounded great when I played. Is anyone familiar with the designation of "2"?

Best,

John

Under the serial number on my Marauder is the Number 2. I have been told this indicates the guitar is a "second" - there may have been a problem when it was originally built by Gibson...

Usually a 'second' was stamped as such if there was found to be a minor flaw in the finish.

The guitar would be fine in all other respects. Electrics etc... will be fine.

Unfortunately being a second will reduce it's value slightly.

P.

Usually a 'second' was stamped as such if there was found to be a minor flaw in the finish.

The guitar would be fine in all other respects. Electrics etc... will be fine.

Unfortunately being a second will reduce it's value slightly.

P.

Pippy,

Thanks for the info. The finish never appeared flawed so if that is what the 2 indicates it must have been very minor.

I have a '75 Marauder that's one step beyond the 2nd, over the serial number is stamped "BGN", for Bargain, a flaw designation worse than a Second. Not sure exactly why, but the body wood appears to have some knots and pitting and is not the best cosmetically, it's a dubious cut of wood they used on this one. And the stock pickups were changed out (not by me) long ago to a Seymour Duncan '59 in the neck and what looks to be an old Fender Strat single coil. If I recall right, '76 was a transitional Marauder, if yours is one of the earlier ones it will have a 3-way toggle switch, as they changed over to the 3-position slider switch in late '75/early '76. Marauders are an unusual innovative attempt from Norlin, mine's a weird beater and sonically is somewhere between Gibson and Fender, but I love it!

Archived