Gibson Brands Forums

Bigsby

harmonicchaos

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

i like bigsbys alot. if you want to add one you should go ahead and do it. i have one on the way in the big brown truck right now along with my new tuners. you might want to try one first though (they aren't for doing van halen and hendrix stuff) go to guitar center or something and try one out (if they have the johnny a guitar with one definately try it). as far as tuning goes they do effect you tuning (EVERYTHING effects tuning though) a little but not as much as other trems, you just have to know how to set it up correctly.

You mean its not? I was going to quote that as a source. I apologize if I came of being rude' date=' or being a azz, it was not my intention to do that. Even though it looked like it. No need to call the Gibson Police etc.............. [/quote']

Actually i really like wikipedia and am on there a lot... as far as i've been on there i haven't really seen any issues in the info... i just seems like a lot of people like bashing it... it seems wiki's got herself a little reputation ;)

Okay, now let's have some peace :)

Thanks for the invite, 'Slinger (would've already dropped by but was having log-in issues...that usually doesn't happen unless I'm stirring up SG-spec stuff though...lol). I can add my 2 cents in on this subject, although as usual I'll probably make more enemies than enlighten any closed-minds, but it's always worth a shot.

Being a fan of both the Gibson "lyre" Deluxe Vibrola AND Bigsby's, I think there is a lot of unjustified apprehension about such hardware. Mostly from folks who whine about loss of sustain (which is highly dependent on your guitar's other qualities, and any difference is minute at best...big whup) or the effort and maintenance required to keep the guitar in tune with the use of the whammy (which, if you take care of and maintain your prized axe like you're supposed to, shouldn't be THAT big a headache!!!). It's all about taking the time to learn your instrument's in's and out's, and a little bit of practice. I personally DO abuse the h-e-double-hockeysticks out of my Maestro's (even to the point of sometimes even "pretending" it's a Floyd...lol), and on a couple of my main stage guitars I have installed roller-bridges (and keep some graphite in the nuts). NO TUNING ISSUES. Now, on my Historic, it has a stock ABR (although I have a roller-replacement in the case...just in case) and on my 2001 '61 RI w/Maestro I have an alternate ABR with Graph Tech saddles, but even stock I've played the crap out of Maestro and Bigsby equipped guitars all my life and once I've learned the individual guitar's "personality", I can use them all virtually trouble-free as-is. As long as your nut and bridge are burr-free and your tuners aren't worn out, there's no excuse for not eventually getting used to it. I can't stand to see people badmouth a vibrola/vibrato with limited experience using them, and people who often say the worst things about them are 90% of the time just afraid to really put forth the effort to get familiarized with the hardware. Since this isn't an F-brand forum I won't dig into the people who are scared to use their Strat tremelos (look, Hendrix, Blackmore and even the "great" Stevie Ray used theirs extensively...if it's good enough for them, it's good enough for your bedroom rockstar butt!). And I won't waste any more time dogging people who block off said tremelo units for "increased sustain" (on a bolt-neck guitar?!?!? HA!) or "tuning stability" (wus...lol). No, instead I'll just stay on topic regarding Gibson styled guitars with Bigsby's or Maestro's. Here are a few points to make you reconsider before casting the idea of a vibe-unit on an axe into damnation:

1) The look. SG Standard's and Custom's just don't look right without a Lyre Maestro to me. They look...incomplete. When I was about 15 years old, back in the mid 90's, I saw my first '64 SG Standard at an auction (sold for $400. Yes, two zeros. DEAD MINT condition). Never forgave the old man for not lending me a few Benjamins that day. Since then, aside from a few exceptions the SG just doesn't look right to me without a vibrola. I'm even cool with the horseshoe Bigsby on them (would LOVE to have a "Mick Taylor" small-guard early/mid-60's model Standard with factory horseshoe...or a CONVINCING looking reissue thereof...step up "Historic" Shop!!!). Same for the ES series guitars, they just kick eternal a$$ with that long Bigsby hanging off the back. Les Paul Black Beauty's too. Adds a kind of regal look to already killer guitars. And what I wouldn't give for a Lonnie Mack V or a white-on-white '67 V reissue with short Maestro!!!

2) The versatility. Let's face it, neither you nor I can pull off those Paul Kossoff bend-n-shake vibrato notes just right (if you think you can, odds are you aren't doing it right...lol). With a little bend of the bar, we can come closer to holiness.

3) The sound. Vibe-equipped setneck guitars gain a certain airy bite to them versus their stop-tail sisters. Some guitars seem to actually gain note articulation from the extra suspension of strings or something (all-mahogany ones especially). The only exception to this rule I've found are Tele's. Almost EVERY Tele with a Bigsby I've played sounded thinner than usual and not as full as a standard setup Tele, so I'll stick with a basic Tele Deluxe, thanks.

4) The sustain factor. I have no desire to debate the stopbar-vs-vibrola sustain comparison. Believe what you want to believe, but you're never gonna' convince me that a stopbar offers more than a negligible difference at BEST when it comes to sustain. In fact, even comparing my two "lowly" Epiphone beater SG's (a stop-tail "Vintage"/Faded and a Ltd. Ed. "1965" with Maestro) with otherwise equal hardware and electronics, my Maestro-equipped one sounds better AND sustains every bit as good (even with the "Vintage" edition's thinner finish "advantage"...but that's a whole other debate not worth arguing about). Fact is, a good piece of wood's gonna' sound and sustain great no matter what, as long as you have a tried & true well-installed bridge and decent pickups. And I see it like this (and PLEASE, feel free to think about this in excruciating depth), how much sustain do you REALLY need anyway? Are you playing one-note leads and need your wound-g string to ring for 2 or 3 minutes straight??? In my travels, the people who often preach the gospel of sustain rarely actually require or even ever USE their guitar's true "sustain capabilities". So get over it. I'll pit my SG and Marshall on "5" up against any lightweight-stopbar-equipped Honda-priced Les Paul through a 2nd-mortage handwired boutique amp any day in a REAL playing scenario, and we'll see which drives the honies wild. :-& The point is, just play and enjoy!

5) LES PAUL HAS A BIGSBY ON HIS MAIN GUITAR!!! You gonna' tell the "man" himself that he's a fool for slapping a Bigsby on the instrument he created? Guess you've got a beef with God about the duckbill platypus too, eh? [-o<

To each his/her own, I think. The important thing is not knocking someone else's preferences like some elitist p-rick. For every type of guitar with any configuration of equipment there's a player out there who can make her sing and scream majestically. Just because something ain't your bag doesn't mean someone else can't make up for something where you lack the ability or motivation to. It's all good, right? [-o<

H-Bomb

very very nicely said h-bomb. there isn't really anything else i can say about bigsbys now. but on the topic of tremolos i have heard people (oilpit) say that unless it's a floyd you will go out of tune for sure. NOT TRUE. i think that you just need to know how to use the tremolo on your guitar. look at this video i made today. im using the tremolo to accent notes about 2/3s of the song. but when im done i'm still in tune, i checked. you just have to know the limitations of your guitar and tremolo.

no i dont have a fake gibson to buy, im saving for a real one. and even if you could swim to mercer island (which is highly unprobable, i would have to come save you cause im a certified lifegaurd) you wouldn't find me there. i dont live on mercer island. anyways is was just a joke. if it offends you that much i'll stop.

Thanks hbomb, this has been the most helpful info yet. I have one last question: Are there any issues with palm muting with a bigsby (i don't pm much but still like to know that i'd be able to)

I'm almost positive that i'm gonna go ahead and get one soon.

A part of my revamping for my guitar

*Bigsby

*Black Gibson Custom Pickguard (the one with the white trim)

*Refinishing with a clear dark walnut lacquer or varnish.

*Strap Locks (done)

*I may need a new pickup selector

*I might get a blank truss rod cover and put the guitar's name on it

... I think that's about it

Thanks hbomb' date=' this has been the most helpful info yet. I have one last question: Are there any issues with palm muting with a bigsby (i don't pm much but still like to know that i'd be able to)[/quote']

You're welcome, my man, glad to be able to reassure you. To answer the question of palm muting, the Bigsby has no effect at all on palm muting (since you palm mute at the T.O.M. and all), so you'll be able to play anything you want with no problem. One thing that is also kinda' neat about Bigsby's which I forgot to mention before is that you can also do some cool chimey effects if you pluck the strings behind the bridge between the saddles and the string retainer bar of the Bigsby. Not something you'd use in every song or anything, but a cool sound effect for the occasional oddball nuance anyway.

Keep everyone updated on your instrument's progress, and your satisfaction with the results.

H-Bomb

You're welcome' date=' my man, glad to be able to reassure you. To answer the question of palm muting, the Bigsby has no effect at all on palm muting (since you palm mute at the T.O.M. and all), so you'll be able to play anything you want with no problem. One thing that is also kinda' neat about Bigsby's which I forgot to mention before is that you can also do some cool chimey effects if you pluck the strings behind the bridge between the saddles and the string retainer bar of the Bigsby. Not something you'd use in every song or anything, but a cool sound effect for the occasional oddball nuance anyway.

Keep everyone updated on your instrument's progress, and your satisfaction with the results.

H-Bomb[/quote']

Great!! Yeah, i have heard some stuff about the behind the bridge chime effect. Get a little sonic youth action goin there. smile.gif

Great!! Yeah' date=' i have heard some stuff about the behind the bridge chime effect. Get a little sonic youth action goin there. :-$[/quote']

Absolutely! Sonic Youth still holds a place in my heart...although unfortunately most of the general public doesn't even know who they are. Rock on!

H-Bomb

I played a few Bigsby guitars the other day' date=' they all were pretty awkward and lame.

But Strat tremolos are......perfect

and I don't even like strats[/quote']

All of this is heresy except for the disliking of strats.

Just kidding... kinda... maybe not?

Me likes me bigsbys... no divebombing in this guitarist's portfolio... just accenting.

(not saying that you are a divebomber :oilpit: )

Absolutely! Sonic Youth still holds a place in my heart...although unfortunately most of the general public doesn't even know who they are. Rock on!

H-Bomb

I hear ya on that one! It seems like time has forgotten quite a few great bands.

btw do you like my bloody valentine then? Early 90's shoegaze...

bought myself their album "loveless" for christmas. Great album.

All of this is heresy except for the disliking of strats.

Just kidding... kinda... maybe not?

Me likes me bigsbys... no divebombing in this guitarist's portfolio... just accenting.

(not saying that you are a divebomber :oilpit: )

I really wish that you could get a Strat trem on a guitar that isn't a strat...they honestly are perfect.

As for Bigsbys, I like the idea of them, but whenever I play them I either don't use them or make mistakes because I'm going out of my way to use them, idk, if I had practice with them I might get better.

But I wouldn't drill my LP for one

Archived