Gibson Brands Forums

50s wiring and treble bleeds

Sgt.

The 50's wiring with treble bleed is the 'Memphis' circuit right? Does the treble bleed with the 50's wiring rob some tone? Is the 50's wiring best without treble bleeds in an lp?

I was looking through a trade mag today and it was talking about the 50's wiring in a Tele, but referenced the circuit in an lp and said you lost something there with treble bleeds. hmmmm. i've got the Memphis circuit in the lp and yes it's gooood. (I could take treble bleeds off right?)

Hello!

99% of Gibson tone pots function as treble bleeds. I don't know of any Les Paul model that has a different tone pot than that. They roll off high frequencies.

"...a “memphis tone circuit”, which is essentially fancy wire trickery, that makes it so your high end doesn’t roll off with your volume. It’s actually, really, really cool." (Source: http://www.seymourduncan.com/forum/showthread.php?227162-Gibson-ES339-Review)

Cheers... Bence

The Memphis tone circuit is different than 50's wiring. A treble bleed circuit is where you take a cap and a resistor in parallel and install them across the input and output terminals of the volume control(s.)

Here's the Memphis tone circuit (ignore the pencil)-

SCAN0047_zpsca4d2bea.jpg

Here's a treble bleed circuit. Use a 680pf cap in parallel with a resistor that's 60% of the value of the volume pot. For a 500k volume pot, use a 680 p cap and a 300k resistor.

treble_bleed.jpg

Archived