Gibson Brands Forums

50 years of retained G.A.S.

OldPlucker

50 years ago, I was 14 and wanted a Fender Bassman so bad; but, lacked the funds. Ended up with an Ampeg B-15. 3 years later I had the money but the Bassman was only 50 watts so I bought the Kustom 200B with 2-15s. Fast forward and a cup;le years ago I found a 67 2-12 cabinet on Craigslist. The last weekend I found a 1967 Blackface Bassman head (supposedly a AB165) Main modification is Master Volume where the 2nd guitar jack had been. It sounds good except there is a hiss. It was worth the wait. I plan on removing the master volume and replacing the tubes and knobs and a few minor corrections. In the meantime, the cabinet and amp settup is complete. The EB through Bassman head sounds great.

oZ3P2Pjl.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Beautiful! To finally achieve the dream is a wonderful thing.

Like you said, back in the day the Fender Bassman was the amp we all wanted. It was cool to just know somebody that had one.

Of course, the pinnacle of G.A.S. was a Dual Showman loaded with JBL's! Wayyy over the top for us yewts...

But you didn't fare too badly in the meantime with a B-15, then a Kustom 200B - all totally pervable gear.

I'm with you - restore it as much as possible and enjoy that tubey goodness!

That Rig looks gorgeous! I wish I had a set up even just close to it.

Any chance of sound samples? I just got my EB and I'd love to hear how one sounds throught an old school tube amp.

No sound samples yet. I was away from playing for more than 40 years and I am just now starting to feel comfortable jamming with my friends. Still having some mistakes; but, fewer each time I play. I thinned the herd to 3 basses. The EB, my original 67 Rivoli and now an Epiphone Thunderbird Classic Pro. Each of these sound very nice through the tubes; but, distinctly different.

Beautiful! To finally achieve the dream is a wonderful thing.

Like you said, back in the day the Fender Bassman was the amp we all wanted. It was cool to just know somebody that had one.

Of course, the pinnacle of G.A.S. was a Dual Showman loaded with JBL's! Wayyy over the top for us yewts...

But you didn't fare too badly in the meantime with a B-15, then a Kustom 200B - all totally pervable gear.

I'm with you - restore it as much as possible and enjoy that tubey goodness!

Amen, on the "Wayyy over the top". Here is a copy of the 1967 price book. Look at the Fender Solid State Bassman. I haven't seen any of these out these used.

Archived