Gibson Brands Forums

Shadow electronics in the non-cutaway Masterbilts

Cougar

When did Epiphone start putting eSonic2 systems in the non-cutaway AJ-500ME's and RE's? Did they ever put them in the non-cutaway DR-500ME's? Do all non-cutaway DR-500ME's have the LR Baggs undersaddle? What other Epi guitars now feature the eSonic2? Just, you know, wondering. [rolleyes]

When did Epiphone start putting eSonic2 systems in the non-cutaway AJ-500ME's and RE's? Did they ever put them in the non-cutaway DR-500ME's? Do all non-cutaway DR-500ME's have the LR Baggs undersaddle? What other Epi guitars now feature the eSonic2? Just, you know, wondering. [rolleyes]

I think they started doing this around 2007? I think they started using them in all Masterbilt models that were in production at the time including the DR-500's. Masterbilts and the EJ-200CE are the only models I can think of that use it. I wish they had stayed with the Baggs system...

I think they started doing this around 2007? I think they started using them in all Masterbilt models that were in production at the time including the DR-500's. Masterbilts and the EJ-200CE are the only models I can think of that use it. I wish they had stayed with the Baggs system...

Epiphone switched to eSonic because they do a better job of projecting the entire inside of the guitar, not just the strings. This gives a more truly acoustic tone when amplified.

Epiphone switched to eSonic because they do a better job of projecting the entire inside of the guitar, not just the strings. This gives a more truly acoustic tone when amplified.

I'm pretty sure it had more to do with being less expensive than the LR Baggs. I think the Baggs sounds better but that's just my opinion.

I think they started doing this around 2007? I think they started using them in all Masterbilt models that were in production at the time including the DR-500's.

So a 2005 DR-500ME would have an LR Baggs, I take it. Somebody just got a pretty nice '05 DR-500MENS with original 'hygro' case off ebay for 'best offer' after nobody bought-it-now for $425 ($44 shipping).

I wish they had stayed with the Baggs system...

I'm surprised to hear you say that. Most other anonymous comments I've read are highly complimentary, if not ecstatic, over the duo system. But good to hear the Baggs must be a fine system as well, on your recommendation.

Apologies...I was thinking of the Shadow Nanoflex. Same brand, but different pickup.

Which brings up my next question. I know there are zillions of acoustic guitar pickups on the market, but what Epi acoustics have had what stock pickups in the past and present....?

So a 2005 DR-500ME would have an LR Baggs, I take it. Somebody just got a pretty nice '05 DR-500MENS with original 'hygro' case off ebay for 'best offer' after nobody bought-it-now for $425 ($44 shipping).

I'm surprised to hear you say that. Most other anonymous comments I've read are highly complimentary, if not ecstatic, over the duo system. But good to hear the Baggs must be a fine system as well, on your recommendation.

Which brings up my next question. I know there are zillions of acoustic guitar pickups on the market, but what Epi acoustics have had what stock pickups in the past and present....?

I would think it would have the Baggs. my AJ-500 has the Baggs and came with the case like you described.

I think it's a preference. the duo system is fine but I like the straight forward Baggs. it has a small volume wheel hidden at the top of the sound hole. just plug in and go.

the majority of Epiphone acoustic/electrics have had Shadow Electronics (Esonic, Esonic2, P4, P7, Epiphonic V, and so on). the earlier Masterbilts had the LR Baggs, and a couple of the newer Pros have a Fishman system.

I just bought a 2006 AJ500RCSNS for $299 from guitar center and it has the LR Baggs and it came with the original hygrometer epiphone masterbilt case. I do not think the AJ500RC 12 fretter came with the LR Baggs. I think this one was a special order, but I could be wrong. The LR Baggs are pretty expensive though, they average about $200.

I just bought a 2006 AJ500RCSNS for $299 from guitar center and it has the LR Baggs and it came with the original hygrometer epiphone masterbilt case. I do not think the AJ500RC 12 fretter came with the LR Baggs. I think this one was a special order, but I could be wrong. The LR Baggs are pretty expensive though, they average about $200.

I think you are correct. that model didn't come with electronics. must have been added.

Archived