Gibson Brands Forums

Mark Knopfler on a real sweet Gibson AJ

MorrisrownSal

Love the way he "and then"s his way through his personal progression on the instrument. Very inspiring breakdown of fingerstyle learning. Don't know if I'll go there but really cool. Seems that all the greats reach a point where they break the rules and become the unique sound that propels them into popular attention and acceptance.

i watch this every few months or so, great piece. It's like everyone in the room went into shock when he pulled a pick out of his pocket lol

I agree the greats carve their own path at some point, I think with most they do things on the guitar without knowing it and then reverse analyze how they play. I've read a lot of interviews with guys over the years where they say "one day I noticed i was doing this, then I looked back and realized at some point I just started doing it without knowing it" and I've had that realization a few times too.

i watch this every few months or so, great piece. It's like everyone in the room went into shock when he pulled a pick out of his pocket lol

I agree the greats carve their own path at some point, I think with most they do things on the guitar without knowing it and then reverse analyze how they play. I've read a lot of interviews with guys over the years where they say "one day I noticed i was doing this, then I looked back and realized at some point I just started doing it without knowing it" and I've had that realization a few times too.

excellent!

I feel I'm going backwards regularly!

seriously though, I think you're right. He was doing what he shouldve been doing long before he knew it was what he should be doing

ps

as a j45 player -how long is the neck on that guitar! !!

There are countless great guitar players, and then there are guys like Knopfler. Chet Atkins was very particular about who he wanted on-stage with him for an instrumental duo. Knopfler was one of the guys who Chet enjoyed picking with. They became good friends and performed together often.

We've all likely seen this, but it's worth watching again and again. Lots of stuff on YouTube with these two guys working their magic together.

Love the way he "and then"s his way through his personal progression on the instrument. Very inspiring breakdown of fingerstyle learning. Don't know if I'll go there but really cool. Seems that all the greats reach a point where they break the rules and become the unique sound that propels them into popular attention and acceptance.

I liked the "Singing Nun" reference, used to describe the most basic of 3 chord guitar playing (as featured on her 1962 million selling hit "Dominique").

Knopfler is a cool guy with no showbiz front to him at all. He's a really tasty guitar player, too. I just wish he'd display more of it on his records which tend to be too laid back.

Archived