Gibson Brands Forums

Played a Gibson Dove today..

Gibson Artist

Ok, i can now say i have tried most of the expensive gibby acoustics in the j-45 true vintage, hummingbird and the j200 jumbo. As for the Dove,first impressions was the tone was very mellow, kind of understated. Sustain was not as good as the hummingbird or j200 but fingerpicking sounded amazingly beautiful. It has elements that remind me of a j-45 but a bit more pronounced in the finger picking to my ears. It wasnt the boombox the hummingbird is and if i had to choose a high end Gibson acoustic this might be the one.

At first i was bummed at the lack of sustain, but the more i played it, the more that sweet, subtle tone won me over. Playing it was mesmerizing, i closed my eyes, thought of the ocean and just let the quiet notes wash me away. Almost a zen like experience. I always thought loud meant better when it comes to guitars but perhaps a git doesnt have to be a boombox to bring joy to the ears. Finances have been rough but i know its only temporary and the worst is over. I may pickup an epi dove until i can finally afford a real one, but i must say, i got serious gas now. The Dove is definitely one i will get someday, ill put it on my vision board.

I haven't been able to play one but have heard good things about the FireBird Custom. They are harder to find for sure.

Wow, those Firebirds are flippin beautiful. Wonder what they sell for? Must be a lot because it is elaborately decorated.

My friend has an '80 Dove. We were playing it a few years back. Paul tilted it strings down against a swivel chair. We walked into the next room, and about a minute later, we heard "KABONGGGG". The Dove that i played the night that he bought it, admired and played several times a year until I moved away, had landed strings down full tune onto the floor.Luckily, the headstock was still in place. The carpet was clean, so the finish looked OK,Maithili no divots. We shook it and tested everything that We could think of, and it survived intact. I was so glad that his Dove wasn't damaged. I really love that guitar. I don't know if I'll ever feel exactly the same about it.

Had a Dove back in the '70s & loved the tone, but the neck angle was bad & I didn't want to invest further in it.

Have since found that unquestionably, maple is my favorite tonewood. The usually bright & punchy delivery of notes is wonderful for fingerpicking clarity.

Archived