Gibson Brands Forums

OLDIES but GOODIES

4Hayden

• Replies 118
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Here's one of my favorites during my teen years and my all-time favorite by Uriah Heep:

Sadly Gary Thain and David Byron are long gone. [crying]

EDIT: I just checked for it - the two-minute outro is still hair-raising to me.

Thanks very much for posting that track, Cap!

[thumbup]

I'm not familiar with the post '74 Heep.............[scared]

For some reason I loved everything from "Very 'Eavy..." through "Magician's Birthday" to 1973's "UH Live" but, for no clear reason, didn't check out anything they did afterwards.

Inexplicable. My loss, obviously!

'Dreams' was fascinating! There are odd resonances ranging from music like Queen were doing/about to do(?) all the way back to Kurt Weil!

Great stuff. Thanks again!

Pip.

Great song! [thumbup]

After listening I researched on Billy Bragg. He seems to be a very interesting person with his very own opinions and convictions. He is using his brain well, not necessarily common among celebrities.

Now I want to get back to Uriah Heep's "Wonderworld" album. I have my personal suspicion about the entire record's muffled sound. Recorded at the Musicland Studios in Munich, it basically should have a nice frequency response, but along with some other albums of that period recorded at different locations - ELO's "Eldorado" comes to my mind here - it lacks treble in a particular manner: The high frequencies appear to be dynamically expanded.

I think this is what happened: They wanted to make 1:1 copies for mastering from Dolby A encoded stereo tapes, i. e. with the Dolby system switched off on both tape recorders. This has usually been done to avoid an unnecessary decoding/encoding step and its dynamic distortions. When both the recorders were using tape of the same lot at same speed and were precisely levelled, the result was the best anyhow possible then. I believe that the recorder playing back has unwittingly been set to Dolby A decoding - perhaps for better listening - , but the outcome of the recording recorder erratingly has been marked as Dolby A encoded although it wasn't. As a consequence, playback of these tapes was performed using Dolby A during cutting in nitrocellulose for vinyl and transfer for cassette production. This caused a severe loss of treble of the sold copies.

Archived