Gibson Brands Forums

Pickup ID

... These can be '57 Classics, or any of the Burstbuckers, including Custombuckers.

I don't feel we've been given nearly enough info to make this assumption.

First of all, in the early 70's there were no such "reissue" pickups. Second, upon detailed inspection (magnifying glass on photo), the sticker say "Patent No XXX", not "Patent Applied For".

Are these original to the guitar? They look awful clean and pristine, so I'm going to assume they're replacements. Typical early 70's pickups would have had the Pat. No. engraved into the baseplate. So we have probable replacement pickups with Pat. No. stickers of black and gold foil to "mimic" the original "PAF" stickers.

I don't know what they are, but I'm pretty sure what they're not.

First of all, in the early 70's there were no such "reissue" pickups. Second, upon detailed inspection (magnifying glass on photo), the sticker say "Patent No XXX", not "Patent Applied For".

Are these original to the guitar? They look awful clean and pristine, so I'm going to assume they're replacements. Typical early 70's pickups would have had the Pat. No. engraved into the baseplate. So we have probable replacement pickups with Pat. No. stickers of black and gold foil to "mimic" the original "PAF" stickers.

Larry are you saying that sticker may be part of a fakery so that the average guitar player would see the patent sticker BS

and assume it is a P.A.F. PU?

According to Gruhn the engraving didn't appear until 75, this is a 74 355. It is a pristine instrument for being 40+ years old. I have no reason to believe they aren't the original pickups. That's all I've been able to put together so far.

The guitar belonged to my late father in law and saw very little use. My mother in law is looking to sell it and I'm trying to gather all of the information I can about it to accurately list it for sale. Thanks for your help.

Archived