Gibson Brands Forums

Question on tweaking Melody Maker single coil pups...

old mark

Are there any tweaks, adjustments, etc to be made to the factory single coil pickups on 2007 - 08 Melody Makers?

I now have 4 of them, and I do NOT want to replace anything, but I'm just wondering if there is something to be gained by a little "fooling around" with these pickups.

FWIW 3 of mine are the single pickup version, one is the D model with 2 pups.

Thanks

I'm just wondering if there is something to be gained by a little "fooling around" with these pickups.

Do you mean other than raising and lowering them?

Anything else like a swap, or digging into them, seems like it would be more than just "fooling around"

• 2 weeks later...

Well you can also adjust the individual pole pieces on the pickup (the screw heads on top).. That will give you some control over the response of each string...

Other than that as you say you can change the Cap value.. Maybe even try adding a PIO cap which a lot of people (including myself) think helps add some warmth to the sound.. And then you can also change the pot value, back in the day they used to use 300k pots.. Or maybe as an experiment add a treble bleed (even though P90s are pretty dark)... But they are things you can try pretty easy if you don't mind doing the wiring.

Archived