Gibson Brands Forums

Vintage Reissue Strings Issue

LRC Gibson

Hey guys first post here, but have been an diehard Gibson fan for most of my life. I have to admit though, I am a little let down recently. Here is why:

I purchased a dozen sets of the Vintage Reissue electric strings in lights. Opened up a set a few weeks ago to restring a guitar and only 5 string envelopes were in the packaged. The first string envelope was gone . . . "hmpff" I thought no big deal, crap happens. Opened up another set . . . same thing. Another set . . . same thing. 4 out of the 5 sets I opened had no high e. At this point, I realize there is no way I am the only one as the odds are pretty good with 4 out of 5 sets (so far out of 12) a string is missing. Something must have been wrong with the machine at the factory that day. Nonetheless, I chalked it up to $30 loss and just threw the extra strings in the extra pile and move on.

This is where I get really upset though. During the process of this I decide to contact Gibson support. I use to submission page here on the website and let the Gibson Gear folks and the Gibson USA folks know what happened. A week goes by and I get no communication back. I find this strange so I decide to call. The guy I speak to at Gibson Support just kind of shrugs I suppose, and says, "Well, I am sorry you had the issue and no one has gotten back to you, there is nothing I can do here except ask you to email support@gibson.com." I did that . .. and still another week later . . . no response.

To be clear . . . I want nothing for free. I am not asking for anything but an acknowledgment of the issue. Perhaps a simple thanks for letting us know. Anyway, sorry for the rant, but really am curious if anyone else has had the issue. I'll also be curious to see what lies ahead for the other 7 packages I have.

Sorry to hear your luck it sounds like mine [scared] . I would suggest going back to where you bought them from for customer service. I don't think Gibson makes their own strings but farms them out. Just like buying a car with a missing headrest, you don't take to the Ford factory but the dealer where you purchased it.

G'luck.

that sucks!

I hope they resolve this eventually. they should just send you another 5 packs, and E strings for the last 5 you bought too boot.

keep on them, as one loyal gibson customer to another, this is just a stupid way to treat their customer base. someone should have gotten back to you know.

Once you get ahold of someone who cares....

Perhaps you can call customer service BACK and see if you get a rep with a brain and just a wee bit of initiative to answer the phone this time

Thanks for taking the time to reply to this thread.

I did contact American Musical Supply - which is where I bought the strings from, but since the purchase was over 8 months ago they gave an apology and told me to contact Gibson. They did give me a 10% off coupon code to use which is honestly more than I expected or wanted.

As for the strings, i just kind of feel like sh*t happens, you know. I am more upset about the Gibson CS at this point. Just one of those things where you put something or someone on a pedestal for so long and then you realize that maybe it should be step stool instead.

Still, I am ES-335 player for life and swear by Gibson acoustics. I also think the Midtown is hands down the best value on the market right now. I also use the Gibson pump polish as an air freshener . . . smells so damn good. [biggrin]

As for the strings, i just kind of feel like sh*t happens, you know. I am more upset about the Gibson CS at this point.

it does, I had a few sets of Elxir strings where the Plain E String broke at the ball end when I first put em on. (nothing I've not done 2 million times before).

I considered contacting the company about it but, never followed up as I had a number of spare 12's hanging around so I just used them instead, (a plain 0.12 is a plain 0.12 no matter what the coating or brand..)

it's really down to the principle, they should try to make it right.... not blow you off.

Lol . . . this is beginning to become humorous I suppose.

I noticed on a pick thread that an actual Gibson CS rep joined in the conversation so I figure heck why not send that person a message and point them to this thread. Well so far, nothing. Perhaps going to their Facebook page would make a difference, perhaps their twitter page. Who knows.

I have to say this lack of CS on their part is really starting to tick me off. What started out as just a simple, "well, that stinks" situation is really starting to frustrate me.

On a side note, I did buy two more Gibson guitars over the past two days. A 2014 Les Paul Melody Maker (I am sucker for the MM guitars) N O S from a local store and just got an incredible deal I could not pass up on a 2002 ES-137 in silver on Reverb.

Even through all of the BS with this one issue, I guess I remain a loyal Gibson Guitar fan.

• 4 weeks later...

Archived