Gibson Brands Forums

Gibson's Nuts are, NUTZ!

sok66

Last week I got a new SG '61 RI. It didn't play very well, but I fooled around with it for a day or so before I started adjusting the setup to dial it in better. First thing I noticed was that the nut slots were too shallow, like someone had started cutting them, then quit after the starter slots had been established. No big deal, got out the nut files & set them just right. At that point the whole setup fell into place and the guitar played like butter, instead of a cheeze slicer. One could blow this off as just a one time problem at Gibson. But no....

Phase II, my '06 '59 RI VOS. Purchased as a 'Blem" from MF a couple years ago, it is a beauty. Because it had been one of their photo guitars it couldn't be sold as new. Good thing I got a great deal on it, because when the thing was delivered I noticed the bridge saddles had been cut wrong, the bridge posts were at the wrong angle, to a degree the intonation couldn't be set properly and the nut slots were all over the place. I had to get a local luthier friend to plug & re-drill the bridge post holes. I then had to install a new bridge & cut the saddles properly. After battling tuning issues for two years due to the strings binding in the nut I'd finally had had enough. So, over the weekend I dug out the nut files again expecting to just deal with another of Gibson's crappy nut slotting jobs. Oy, not so fast. Turns out when they did the nut slots they not only didn't get the slot spacing & clearance right, the first string was so low there was only .001" clearance between the string and the first fret with the relief & bridge set to spec. Only one fix, replace the bleedin' nut.....on a basically new, $5,000+ guitar...=P~

I ran down to the local guitar store and got a Graph-Tec Tusq nut blank. It was all they had but looked like it would work OK. Mustered up my courage and carefully cut the old nut free from the lacquer. One tap from the side with a punch and it popped right out. Turns out it had hardly been glued in at all, only one small spot was attached. Considered myself lucky at that, then got even more lucky, as the new nut blank was already nearly perfectly shaped to fit in the slot. Just needed a tiny bit of shaping to get a good, snug fit. In it went, out came the Stew-Mac nut slotting rule, marked the slots & filed them in. A bit of clearancing & shaping, a couple drops of white glue and VOILA, new nut, guitar plays like a dream and never sounded better. The whole deal took about an hour.

Long story, I know, but a simple question for Henry J: With book-matched tops, holly veneer, obsession with historical accuracy, VOS finishes & all, why in the name of Orville can't Gibson get something as simple and critical as bridges & nuts done right? A $200 Indonesian pile of junk would never be delivered like this. Good thing I can work on my own guitars.

I agree with you wholeheartedly, sok. THERE ARE NO EXCUSES. The workmanship and quality control from Gibson needs to improve and if it does, you'll see those prefer those other brands of guitars buying and playing Gibson. I know a lot of players who won't by Gibson for their lack of quality control. I know that each brand has it's problems, and when they're not on top, like Gibson, they are striving for it. Gibson is not going down a notch or two any time soon, but for our sake (we who love, and play, and pay for their product) Gibson should give us the quality assurance we've been paying for.

Long story' date=' I know, but a simple question for Henry J: With book-matched tops, holly veneer, obsession with historical accuracy, VOS finishes & all, why in the name of Orville can't Gibson get something as simple and critical as bridges & nuts done right? A $200 Indonesian pile of junk would never be delivered like this. Good thing I can work on my own guitars. [/quote']

The answer is as simple as the question. It´s NO, they can´t. Anything that requires hand labour from experienced workers isn´t Gibsons cup of tea.

Greetings

Kurt

Sure. First shot of it is the promo shot from the MF web site. Second shot is right after I unpacked it. Look closely at the string spacing across the bridge, esp. the big gap between the low E and the edge of the fingerboard.

Photoof59LP96680onMFWebsite2-21-07.jpg

59VOS.jpg

Amazing how different the finish and color look in the two photos, but if you put it under floods it looks just like their shot.

MF & Music 123 blems can be just about anything, either GC scratch & dents, demos like mine, factory goofs, etc. If you get on any of their sites search scratch & dent, blem, etc. and see what comes up. That's how I found this little guy. All's well that ends well, as they say, but had I paid full pop for this thing I'd be more than a little steamed at Gibson.

I usually use a thin slot-cut piece of paper to raise the nut a little at a time.

Which means that you can verify with few exceptions with just your two E strings.

The tolerances on those saddles are not so tight that you can't grind or file them down enough to where you can re-slot them.

Of course, measure before and after working on the saddle.

Good luck.

Well the company could solve two problems in one fell swoop. Gibson has been rated one of the worst companies to work for in some business magazines. If they increased their retention of employees and cut some of the middle management fat we the consumer would see the lower prices and quality control we are looking for. But until Gibson wakes up and actually acts on the quality control problem we will continue to see guitars that have minor issues that a competent luthier could easily fix... but for crying out loud we the consumers are paying big bucks and at least deserve a quality product if we are going to shell out the cash.

My Flying V is also a victim of a shallow nut slot. The string looked high from the start, but it started to pop out and yesterday it wouldn't stay in the slot. I brought it back to GC and hopefully I'll have it back tomorrow. I did play my BFG today for the first time since I got the V and it felt a bit funny. I've gotten very used to playing the V very quickly and I think I may be a convert. Hell, they're both awesome guitars.

Archived