Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

56 Gold Top Construction?

#1 User is offline   Dow 

• Group: All Access

Posted 13 June 2018 - 08:39 AM

Hello!

So a few months ago I picked up a 56 Gold Top in excellent condition. Itís a 2004 Korean-made model. The previous owner had switched all the hardware to gold, which is a bit much to my eye but the price was right. I peaked in the body and it has orange drop caps and CRA POTS, which Iím assuming was another upgrade by him.

My question is this, is this thing really solid mahogany or was it made with an aldar or maple cap? I love the way it sounds with the two p90ís, but Iím going to try it with a mini humbucker in the bridge for a Neil Young type sound.

Any insight into the wood would be a huge help. Searching didnít get me the clarity Iím hoping for. First time poster, so thanks for any help.

Btw my other guitar is a firebrand SG I picked up in 1986 for $100, which is without question the best deal Iíve ever gotten in my life. The epiphone plays super well and scratched my Les Paul itch without breaking the bank.

Dow

#2 User is offline   Pacific Reef 

• Advanced Member
  • LocationEngland

Posted 13 June 2018 - 03:14 PM

Hello, and congratulations on your aquisition. I too have a Korean epi 56 gold top from Feb 2004.
Body & Neck are mahogany, not sure if it has a maple cap, mine is still all stock and I think the P90's sound great.

http://www.epiphone....56-Goldtop.aspx

#3 User is offline   Dow 

Posted 13 June 2018 - 03:36 PM

I totally agree- those p-90ís are supposedly ďnot as goodĒ as the ones on the ďproĒ model, but they sound amazing in my rig. Through an EQD Acalpulco Gold it sounds like the roof is falling in. Not fizzy at all, just epic distortion. Itís such a well made guitar too. Iíll never get rid of it. The mini humbucker thing is just my NY love getting the best of me. Iím going to wire in a connector so I can switch it back easily. It may not last.

#4 User is online   mihcmac 

• Advanced Member
  • LocationHawaii

Posted 13 June 2018 - 11:31 PM

I have a 2017 56 Les Paul Standard Pro, that also comes with a Gold Top, but mine is a metallic red. Having played both the 56 Gold Top and the 56 Pro, I think the P-90 Classic pickups sound great very much like the 50's style P-90 did. I have 8 guitars with P-90's, one of which has a 58 P-90 in it. The 56 Gold Top comes with better cast machine 14:1 tuners and a 60's D profile slim taper neck. The 56 Pro has the cheaper Epiphone Deluxe, Kluson style, 18:1 tuners that usually don't last and a 50's C profile rounded neck (the fat neck). Both are made from mahogany, mine is really heavy 9 1/2 lbs.

So in the end these 56 Les Paul's have differences but they both sound great over a good amp.

yours

Posted Image

mine

Posted Image

This post has been edited by mihcmac: 14 June 2018 - 12:42 AM

P-90's Rule.... Posted Image Posted Image But not for everyone...

#5 User is offline   Dow 

Posted 14 June 2018 - 10:26 AM

Thanks for the info! It does indeed sound great through my Ď64 vibro champ, which is a good one. It also sounds good through my peavey classic 212, which I like but itís not a super-fantastic amp. Surprisingly good with pedals. Iíve just had it since Ď86. Do you think itís not made with a maple cap to save money on co steuction? Traditionally I understood LPís were two piece construction. One more question: the wiring in mine is cloth wrapped. Is that original to the guitar or was it upgraded like the tone caps?

#6 User is online   mihcmac 

• Advanced Member
  • LocationHawaii

Posted 14 June 2018 - 01:40 PM

The current available spec's on the 56 Gold Top do not mention the Maple Veneer that Epiphone usually has on carved top Les Paul's. Yours being a 2004 it could have a Maple Veneer which may be visible in the routed pickup holes or the controls chamber. Also some of the upper end Korean Epi's had woven fabric covered wiring. My 56 Pro has regular plastic coated wiring.

This post has been edited by mihcmac: 14 June 2018 - 01:52 PM

P-90's Rule.... Posted Image Posted Image But not for everyone...

#7 User is offline   Dow 

Posted 14 June 2018 - 01:42 PM

Thanks! I appreciate all the insight.

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users