Gibson Brands Forums

Can you damage a switchcraft 3 way toggle with a solder iron??

wildkat1

I will be rewiring a new Switchcraft 3 way toggle on my Epi Les Paul after an attempt with the factory wiring failed. I now need to rewire it and I intend to use braided wire. My concern is that I may damage the switch when removing solder if I apply the solder iron too long. Is this a potential "rookie mistake"??? Any info is appreciated...I have very limited soldering experience.

[scared]

I will be rewiring a new Switchcraft 3 way toggle on my Epi Les Paul after an attempt with the factory wiring failed. I now need to rewire it and I intend to use braided wire. My concern is that I may damage the switch when removing solder if I apply the solder iron too long. Is this a potential "rookie mistake"??? Any info is appreciated...I have very limited soldering experience.

[scared]

I'm right there with you in the "I don't know what the he** I'm doing", BUT like all things with electric guitars, anything overdone can be undone. Remember that "solder sucker" is your friend. As always I don't know what the he** I'm talking about and YMMV, so someone with more experince may want to answer your question.

There's always a risk if you're not sure what you're doing and maybe do not have all the right tools (eg: a good solder sucker)

the factory solder jobs sometimes require more heat too to melt the solder, so you'd also want to be sure you had a good iron.

Start with a very low wattage soldering iron. Certainly no more than 25 watts.

Clean the switch contacts as best you can, the solder sucker is great if you have one.

And "tin" your wire before trying to connect to the switch. Minimal contact time, iron to switch, is absolutely necessary.

Good luck !!!

I appreciate the input so far.....I do have a decent soldering iron (weller) and I had to use solder wick...don't have a sucker yet. My big concern is if I applied the solder iron to the switch lugs too long can I cause heat damage that ruins the function of the switch?? I'll know soon enough when I rewire it in the guitar, and test it!!

Thanks again....

Using a Weller WLC100 I successfully completed a total rewire job on the Epi Les Paul STD 2001 and no heat damage to the switch, pots, or input jack!!! The neck pup wasn't working properly and I couldn't troubleshoot the problem piece meal.....so I replaced everything. I highly recommend John Coloccia's youtube tutorial for beginners like myself..A big help overall!! He does the whole job step by step with great detailed explanation.....

Archived