Gibson Brands Forums

Les Paul Signature Low Impedance

I'm the first and only owner of an early 70's LP Signature semi-hollow body, low impedance, double cutaway goldtop. The guitar is at RS Guitarworks for refinishing. The tech, very experienced, has reassembled it, but keeps getting a loud hum that he can't get rid of. He has the schematic. He mentioned a brown wire that was soldered to the volume control but not to anything else.

I know it's not much to go on, but does anyone have any advice on wiring this vintage Gibson?

TIA

Ari Gabinet

post-36429-082515900 1555946400_thumb.jpg

Not enough info to go on. The first thing I would determine is if the ground wire from the tailpiece stud inserts (or bridge inserts) is intact.

I may have a schematic for it as well. It would be interesting to compare them to see if there is any difference. I'll try to post it tonight.

Not enough info to go on. The first thing I would determine is if the ground wire from the tailpiece stud inserts (or bridge inserts) is intact.

I may have a schematic for it as well. It would be interesting to compare them to see if there is any difference. I'll try to post it tonight.

thanks. I know it's thin. i don't have the guitar, but the tech is pretty competent. I assume he'd have checked the ground. He says that he gets the loud hum when he touches the pot -- kind of the opposite of the problem you typically have where the hum goes away when you touch the strings. He says the sound is more like touching the end of your cord when it's plugged into your amp.

The output jack on the bout (not the face) is a stereo jack for a balanced line out, low impedance. You need to use a stereo plug in that jack. Years ago, I was working on a friends Les Paul Signature trying to eliminate a similar hum. I ended up running a wire from the ground lug on the neck pickup to the ground on the output jack. For whatever reason, that did the trick...….